what's this?

pghgirl
on 3/8/14 2:16 am

I've been seeing some people talk about wearing a binder after surgery, i was just wondering what is a binder? I've never heard of that.

HW:325, SW:281, CW:250

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/14 2:25 am

It is like an ace bandage for your belly.It wraps around you.I had one with my RNY and it did help.I never had one with the five other surgeries and never had one.It did seem to help.

I would ask your doctor.

pghgirl
on 3/8/14 2:38 am

Ohhh, ok.  Thanks! :)

HW:325, SW:281, CW:250

RNY on 10/21/13

This is an example of an abdominal binder. I wraps around your abdomen and holds everything tight.

I found it VERY helpful the first 2 weeks after surgery. When I didn't wear the binder, it felt as though my stomach were being ripped apart due to the lovely affects of gravity and having a large belly that was just cut open in several places and now had internal stitches. I could sit/stand easier and get in/out of bed easier with the binder on. Some people use them, a lot don't, but I think it is a personal preference and some surgeons think it helps with internal healing. If you're interested just ask your surgeon and they can give you one in the hospital (the physical therapist brought me mine).

Best wishes! 

LAP RNY 10.21.13  Pounds lost by month: 1: 34 2: 25 3: 16 4: 12 5: 7 6: 18 7: 10 8: 8 9:15 10:10 11: 10  12:  Total so far: 190! pounds

PetHairMagnet
on 3/8/14 11:50 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On March 8, 2014 at 10:16 AM Pacific Time, pghgirl wrote:

I've been seeing some people talk about wearing a binder after surgery, i was just wondering what is a binder? I've never heard of that.

My surgeon only uses them if you needed open, not lap, RNY. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/9/14 12:09 am - OH

Yes, I am always VERY surprised when people use them after lap surgery.  I used one for a only a few days after my open RNY (it was too long for me and hurt), but had a different style after my panniculectomy that was less supportive but more comfortable and helped keep swelling down.  

I have had a number of lap surgeries and cannot personally imagine needing it for that... But we are all different.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

krp123
on 3/10/14 4:19 am - Arlington, VA
RNY on 04/25/13

I had LAP RNY and my doctor had me use one for the first 2-4 weeks. Honestly, it did help me. I noticed when I didn't wear, especially at night that it felt like my insides were being pulled apart, which as you can imagine is a very uncomfortable feeling. I thought all surgeons required it, but as always, I am discovering every surgeon is different!  

Surgery: April 25th, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics