Doctors aren't always right!

SteveWebb
on 3/14/14 9:08 pm - NC

When I saw my Doctor two weeks agao he was upset with me because he wasn't happy with my weight loss.  He kept implying along with his P.A. that I was not following the program.  I told them I was and that I was just in a stall.  I had gone two weeks without the scale hardly moving.  The Doctor said it was to early for a stall to happen.  I reminded him of all the weight I had already lost on the liquid diet.  This left him unconvinced. 

It took a few more days after the appointment for the scale to begin moving again.  As of this morning, I am now 232 for a total loss of 60 pounds since I started the program.  I've lost 27 ounds since the day of surgery.  That's 4.5 pounds a week average.  I have 31 more pounds to go to reach the Doctors goal he set for me.

The problem occurs when Doctors expect their Patients to be cookie cutter patients.  My body will not function the same as everyone else.  I hope to be real close to my goal he set for me before I see him again.  I will probably hit another stall but I plan to have the Doctor eat a little crow at the next appointment.  I see him again May 6.  Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

poet_kelly
on 3/14/14 9:12 pm - OH

You're right, doctors aren't always right.  I'm really glad you weren't upset by your doctor's behavior but instead stayed strong in what you knew to be true.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Laura in Texas
on 3/14/14 10:35 pm

Hopefully he is a good cutter. That should be our primary goal when picking a surgeon. Sadly, many of them have a horrible bedside manner.

Good for you for not letting his poor choice of words to get to you.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

blopez579
on 3/14/14 10:36 pm
RNY on 09/11/13

I would bet that when you return with such improved numbers, he will say to himself, "Ah, my chastisement from the last appointment worked!  I will have to remember that and use it again". 

You are certainly right about them not being right.  

When I vomited blood, and called the doctor, (and got the one on call, not mine) he said it's probably just a clot you got rid of.  Take some antacid and call the doctor on Monday."

Well, 10 days in the hospital later, he saw me on rounds, and his story was a little different. 

Way to be strong. Thanks for sharing.

PetHairMagnet
on 3/17/14 2:53 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On March 15, 2014 at 5:36 AM Pacific Time, blopez579 wrote:

I would bet that when you return with such improved numbers, he will say to himself, "Ah, my chastisement from the last appointment worked!  I will have to remember that and use it again". 

You are certainly right about them not being right.  

When I vomited blood, and called the doctor, (and got the one on call, not mine) he said it's probably just a clot you got rid of.  Take some antacid and call the doctor on Monday."

Well, 10 days in the hospital later, he saw me on rounds, and his story was a little different. 

Way to be strong. Thanks for sharing.

I would wager that is true, your surgeon will think his speech was the effective tool, not your RNY. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Ali Shepherd
on 3/15/14 1:27 am - Smyrna, TN

I totally agree with, especially female find it harder than males to lose weight due to the hormonal changing in the female body. don't give up and listen to what make sense and remember the MD is human can make mistakes

alaskasusan
on 3/15/14 2:50 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

Right on Steve!  It's a huge help being an educated WLS patient and I have sure learned a LOT on this board - and pass it along to my friends who are starting the process.  Glad you recognized the WL pause for what it was and stayed on target.  Sounds like you are continuing to do fantastic, and have no doubt you'll knock this out of the park!  Bless you!

LittleMiss2013
on 3/15/14 4:02 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

Yay Congrats! =)

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers