Blood work ?

Thinknthin
on 3/23/14 12:15 pm

I have my pre op appt, blood work registration and all that tomorrow, I forgot if they said go go in fasting for blood work or not? Please let me know if you were required to go in fasting for your blood work . Thank you in advance

yay 2 weeks until surgery  

Louise1974
on 3/23/14 12:33 pm

Fasting as I recall.  Woo hoo for two more weeks!

Thinknthin
on 3/23/14 12:59 pm

Thank you, I would hate to go in and be told oh no you should have been fasting. Hoping these next 2weeks go by quick. I am trying to think of anything I may need to do to make it a little easier after surgery. Any tips? 

Louise1974
on 3/23/14 9:54 pm

If you have to do a pre-op diet just know that was the hardest part of the whole thing for me.  so if it is really hard and you are wondering how in the world you will be able to do the post op diet, the post op diet is a whole different story because you will have had surgery. 

To make things easier:  make sure you are well stocked with sugar free drinks, protein powders, vitamins...  Post op you won't want to deal with that stuff.  I am a big planner so I made sure my house was all clean and I lined up a few friends to come and help with laundry and also just hanging out with me.  Probably the very best thing I did was to make tons of stock and freeze it in containers in the fridge.  I was sick half to death of sweet protein shakes about a week into the pre op diet.  It was great to be able to have really rich beef and chicken stock.  Also, if you make a proper stock it actually has a fair amount of protein, 5-6 grams per cup.  And it has electrolytes and potassium and all sorts of other things that keep you healthy.  Here is a good recipe if you have never made it:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chicken-stock-recipe.html

fyi:  I know it looks like a pain but it makes a ton and isn't actually that hard.  I have never cooled the stock after like it recommends, I don't know anyone who does that but it probably is safer. 

Another great thing that I did was to go to some thrift stores and buy some clothes in smaller sizes.  I set up bins in my closet with the next few sizes down and just started filling them up.  It was really nice to do that in the pre-op diet phase because I was going a little nuts and it helped me keep my eye on my goal.  You will be really glad you have a few things in smaller sizes because in the beginning you drop sizes so fast that it is nice to have stuff you can just pull out.  Go to the cheapest thrift stores you can find (usually church ones are pretty good) because you won't be in those clothes very long. 

You are so close!!!!

AnnyBananny
on 3/23/14 12:59 pm - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

My pre-op appointment did not require fasting for the blood work - my paperwork about the appointment actually said "No fasting required." However, every program is different, so personally, I would fast just in case. You wouldn't want something like that to keep you from having surgery on your day!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

PetHairMagnet
on 3/24/14 11:21 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On March 23, 2014 at 7:15 PM Pacific Time, Thinknthin wrote:

I have my pre op appt, blood work registration and all that tomorrow, I forgot if they said go go in fasting for blood work or not? Please let me know if you were required to go in fasting for your blood work . Thank you in advance

yay 2 weeks until surgery  

My husband was diabetic and had to fast as they were checking his A1C. I was not diabetic and did not have to fast. I would err on the side of caution and fast. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

hvpooly
on 3/24/14 11:41 am
RNY on 04/14/14

I had to fast for my blood work

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 201 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 256 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views