New here .... nervous

LeslieMJ77
on 3/31/14 6:42 pm

Hi, My name is Leslie. I'm new. I'm starting my 2 week pre-op diet today. I'm very nervous. Nervous about the pre-op diet and how hungry I'm going to be. My surgery is scheduled for April 15th and I'm scared to death.

dlang057
on 3/31/14 8:56 pm
RNY on 03/25/14

Hi Leslie.  Take a deep breath!  I had my RNY on 3/25 so I know where you are coming from.  I had a 3 week pre-op requirement and I can honestly say that I was between shakes until the end of the fourth day.  That evening I could not sleep I had so much energy.  I was initially sore and very tired, like going to bed at 8 PM tired but it does get much, much easier.  After that fourth day you should feel like a new person and not hungry. 

I had to drink 3 shakes a day plus some other extras if needed.  I will say you have to at least have your protein requirement daily.  You will feel better and you will loose weight! 

You should probably research Ketosis as this is what the body goes through during this process and should give you an idea what to expect.

As for feeling scared, I totally understand!  I took the time to really reflect on this and found that I was more scared about getting everything done (at work and home) and loosing my pre-op requirement weight of 17 lbs.  In the end I lost 21 lbs. and got everything done I needed to. 

I know everyone is different but I'm sure you will do great.  Remember this two week time frame maybe one of the most difficult things you will have to get through but the prize at the end is so very worth it and so are you!

Best of luck in your journey.

Danielle

LeslieMJ77
on 3/31/14 11:46 pm

Thank you Danielle for your kind words. My doc did not give me a goal weight. Just said I have to follow the diet of 4 shakes a day and I can have up to 6 servings off of a very small list of fat free sugar free foods. And I must follow this diet for 2 full weeks. Right now I'm hoping these two weeks go by quickly. And as a single mom, I'm praying I have a complication free surgery and a speedy recovery. 

One week post op for you, how is your pain level? Do you sleep on your back? Do you feel like being active? Do you have drains?  Congrats on your weightloss. 

Leslie

dlang057
on 4/1/14 7:17 am
RNY on 03/25/14

My pain level is pretty good.  I am only taking one Norco at night to help sleep, having been doing this since Sunday.  I am normally a stomach sleeper so I've mostly been sleeping a in a chair with an ottoman but have had a few hours in my bed.  In bed I use a pillow to wedge under the side I am sleeping on a kind of do a modified position of sleeping on my side/belly.  I do not have any drains.

I will say in the hospital the gas pains were worse than the belly pains.  But it was hard to distinguish.  So relieve the gas you have to walk, walk, walk.  There is nothing they can give you in hospital to relieve the gas pressure.  I did choose to have a suppository which allowed the gas to pass and have a small bowel movement.  But I think the amount of walking I did helped more. 

LeslieMJ77
on 4/1/14 8:58 am

Thank you for the tip. Best wishes to your continued recovery. :-)

Grandmaneice
on 3/31/14 8:58 pm
RNY on 03/24/14

Hi Leslie.. Welcome and congrats on getting your date.  I didn't have to do a 2 week liquid pre op diet so I can't help with that. But I too was scared and nervous about my surgery, which was just a week ago Monday.  Things went fine. I did have to stay an extra night due to being neauseous but have been fine since I have been home.

Make sure you ask for something for your nerves and for motion sickness if you get that too.  Will be praying for you.  I am sure others have more advice for you too.

Denise

LeslieMJ77
on 4/1/14 2:10 am

Thanks! Good luck with the rest of your recovery! 

tdbull
on 3/31/14 9:23 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Hi and welcome Leslie. I can't help you with pre op diet cuz I didn't have one, but I think it's pretty normal to be scared. I was so scared that I probably would have cancelled if my band hadn't been given me such pain and I knew I needed this out. Now, at 7 months out, I can't tell you how happy I am that I had this surgery. I lost all of my weight and more, have tons of energy, feel terrific, and am so happy. You'll go thru a series of emotions. For about the first month after surgery and cried and wished I would never have done this to myself. I didn't know how I was going to live my life post surgery and that I'd made a huge mistake. These emotions will pass when the surgery meds get out of your system, and you feel back to normal and getting yourself on a routine. And this site is the best for learning and sharing. Take a deep breath and before you know it, your pre op will be over and you'll be on the losers bench with the rest of us.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

LeslieMJ77
on 4/1/14 2:12 am

Thanks!  I cant wait to be on the losers bench. 

JJ0609
on 3/31/14 10:23 pm, edited 3/31/14 10:24 pm

Hello Leslie! I am fairly new here too even though I had my initial surgery in 2009 and stomach and colon revision in 2013. Do not  be nervous! We have your back. Welcome. I look forward to being friends with you.

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 401 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 392 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 224 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 328 views