almost 4 days post op

dragonlove
on 4/19/14 7:22 am
RNY on 11/20/13

Are you sure you have to do the 8 glasses plus the 3 protein drinks?  I'm asking because I also had to do 3 shakes a day to start and 64 ounces of fluids.... however, my Nut told me that the fluid in the shakes counts toward my 64 ounce of fluids.  This means that the three shakes would be 24 ounces of your quota.  At this point, that would be ambitious.

I was told to make a shake, and during a 15 minute segment, to drink 1/4 cup of it by slowly sipping.  It should be thin so it won't stuff your pouch - it will just run out.  When the 15 minute timer goes off, pour another 1/4 cup.  It took an hour to sip the shake, but it got me some good protein, *and* fluids.  Win-win!  Hang in there - it is doable!  

At this stage, it is very important to not get dehydrated, so try to keep something with you to drink constantly. If you will sip a little constantly during the day, you'll find you can probably get the fluid in.  Your body will thank you!

Regarding the pain - I remember EXACTLY what you mean about feeling like your insides are being torn out.  I remember every time I got out of a chair, or up from bed, I truly felt like things were all shifting around inside.  It is a scary feeling.  Hang in there! The pain will start improving every day and suddenly you'll get up from a chair and realize you didn't feel that scary wierd feeling.  

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Bsheldon
on 4/20/14 2:51 am

I am 10 days out of surgery. The surgeon gave me my "bible" on the day that I was checking out, it contains menus and shopping lists for week1, week2, week3, and week4 post-op. On my week1 diet, it only specified that I drink the protein shakes if I were to feel hungry; otherwise it was jello, broth, and water (with sugar-free flavors if wanted). I have no problem getting my 64 ounces of fluid, I have always been a sipper. Once I open a bottle of water, I don't put the lid back on until it is gone. Even when I was still in the hospital the nurses were amazed because the had to keep bringing me water. This is good for me, I guess. However, I haven't drank another protein shake after my pre-op diet. I hope you can get through this and I am inclined to think that maybe the shakes are supposed to count toward your fluid intake. I would definitely ask and clarify.

Surgery Date: 4/10/14 HW-279 SW-270 CW-144 GW-140