Work and driving after RNY

peg4life
on 4/20/14 10:45 pm

I'm scheduled for surgery on May 6th. I was wondering how long after your surgery before you returned to work.  Also, how long before you were able to drive?

ebtiger24
on 4/20/14 10:55 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

You can drive as soon as you come off the pain meds. I was off 2 weeks. I work in an office with no heavy lifting. 

peg4life
on 4/20/14 11:56 pm

Thanks!  :)

AnnyBananny
on 4/20/14 11:10 pm - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

My surgeon wanted to see me at my 1-week follow up before I could drive - I also needed to have stopped taking the pain meds with narcotics. They also made me twist some at the waist to make sure I would be able to do so in my car to look at my blind spot, etc.

I took 2 full weeks and then I worked 2 weeks of half days. Honestly I could have gone back after the two weeks, but I had the time (and was going to lose it in June if I didn't use it) so why not? I know some people go back in a week, but I don't think I could have - I was just so tired and still had enough pain that I would have been very uncomfortable. 

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

peg4life
on 4/20/14 11:57 pm

JJ0609
on 4/20/14 11:19 pm

It really depends on when your body is ready and how quickly you heal. Your doctor will release you but you have to able to maneuver twisting, bending, walking, turning and such for looking in the car as well as for at work. You will know when the time comes near when you are ready to return to work. Sorry but there is no way to tell you beforehand when you can return but I would allow for a couple of weeks with a  cushion for safety.     

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

peg4life
on 4/20/14 11:58 pm

Dcgirl
on 4/20/14 11:27 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I drove on day 4 and was back at a desk job on day 7.  I think it does truly depend on your age, health, and if you have any complications.  I was also in the hospital from 3 pm on surgery day until I was discharged at 11 am the day after (one night).  I have seen a variety of experiences on this site.  Sorry I can't be more helpful but just know that it could be easy and it could be tough.  Cheers to an easy surgery and recovery!

peg4life
on 4/20/14 11:59 pm

Thanks!!! :)

basilmk
on 4/21/14 1:54 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I'm 66 and I drove a couple of days after coming home. The rule was no driving while taking pain meds; well, I didn't need any of them.  I was back to traveling for work about 10 days post-op with no problems other than fatigue.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 0 replies · 14 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 357 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 355 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 301 views