Work and driving after RNY

Daisydoo02
on 4/21/14 12:03 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi Peg, I took 6 weeks off from work, and I am so glad I did because I had a bit of a rough start and needed that time. I have amazing benefits from work and a ton of sick time so it was great for me.  I had a follow up appt with my family doctor 10 days after surgery and I drove myself, its an hour drive one way and I was fine in the car/making lane changes etc.  I only took pain meds for about 4-5 days post op and then stopped.  After driving my car to and from the doctor's when I got home I was exhausted and needed a nap!  It really all depends on how you are feeling post surgery.

You will see hundreds of responses from people who took anywhere from a few days to weeks (like me).  I just didn't "bounce back" right after surgery like a lot of people but that's okay that is my body and I just accepted it.  I am 5.5 months post op and feeling like a million bucks so it was all worth it!

Best of luck on your journey.

Daisy

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

peg4life
on 4/21/14 12:21 am

Thanks, Daisy!  It's so inspirational reading about how great people feel down the road after surgery!!!!

I too am blessed to have great benefits and plenty of days.  Thanks again for the information!

MrsLitch
on 4/21/14 12:16 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I went back to work after a week. That's all the sick time I had and I didn't want to go unpaid. I worked in an office but also drove and walked throughout the day seeing clients. It was a rough first week back and wish I would have taken 2 weeks. I took a nap every day when I got home that first week. Driving was as soon as I was off pain meds, so about day 5-6

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

peg4life
on 4/21/14 12:24 am

Thanks for the information!  The majority of my work is in the office but I do have to visit schools throughout the work week. Thanks again!  :)

kbb0185
on 4/21/14 1:25 am
RNY on 07/15/14

Question for the vets - can't you collect TDI while you are out if you choose to do the 4-6 weeks?  

jefferytmc
on 4/21/14 2:11 am

As has been said, it varies greatly based on your age, ability to heal and so forth.

My wife had surgery the Friday before Thanksgiving.  She is a HS math teacher.  She had the whole next week off and then took another week to recover.  She could have driven sooner, but I drove her till she went back to school.

One test they had said was be able to stomp your foot without pain.  I used pain meds the first night in the hospital and then nothing past the first morning.  I had some abdominal pain, but that was minor.  I took a walk the first night, I could stomp my foot from the beginning I could have driven home from the hospital, but I did not.  I drove to my 1 week follow up and had no issues.  I had surgery on a Tuesday, came home on Thursday and worked from home Friday and the next week and then went back less than 2 weeks after surgery.

I work in an office as a database analyst and had no issues whatsoever.

But 2 weeks is a reasonable cushion.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

peg4life
on 4/21/14 5:39 am

Thanks!

Gillianlg
on 4/21/14 3:12 am

My doctor said I could drive as soon as I was off pain meds.

I had my surgery last Monday and kind of feel like I could be back at work.  But I am taking off this week as a cushion and so far I am glad that I am doing so.

--Gillian

peg4life
on 4/21/14 5:41 am

Thanks!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 235 views
What's on your Monday Menu?