I think I hate what I've done

mamap79
on 4/21/14 2:26 am

On April 1 I had my gastric bypass. Everything went well, I seem to be doing "well" but I can't stop thinking that I made a mistake. That for the past 18 months I was delusional to think I could handle this gigantic change. No amount of counseling, self work or support groups actually prepared me for this. 3 weeks out and I feel like garbage and no matter how many times I hear "things will get better" I think that it's a lie. 

jefferytmc
on 4/21/14 2:36 am

ok, then time for some tough love.

It is done.  There is nothing you can do to go back.

So where do you go from here?  You can either accept it and accept that it will get better or you can have negative thoughts and dwell on how things used to be and wish you had not done it and it will only make you miserable.

Are there people that don't get better?  Sure, but that is rare if you follow the plan.  

It is 3 weeks out, it is still very early.  Once you get back to "normal" food, then it will be better.

Maybe you need to see a counselor or someone to help you through it.

So what you do next is up to you.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

Bsheldon
on 4/21/14 2:57 am

Not that this is any of my business... Because I feel like this is something that you have to work through for yourself. I am not two weeks out yet, but I just wanted you to know that I have had a roller coaster of emotion since the surgery. I still have doubts that I can do this but as my husband points out... "It's too late now, you might as well try to make the best of it!"

Hang in there. It will get better if you want it to. 

Surgery Date: 4/10/14 HW-279 SW-270 CW-144 GW-140

Laura in Texas
on 4/21/14 10:45 am

"Hang in there. It will get better if you want it to."

So true!! Sadly some people love to wallow in their own self-pity and chose to be a perpetual victim. I hope the OP does not make that choice.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Lori W.
on 4/21/14 11:00 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 05/12/14

What/who is OP?

Cunning_Pam
on 4/21/14 11:06 am
RNY on 12/18/13

OP means Original Poster. The person who started the thread, in other words.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

JJ0609
on 4/21/14 3:00 am

Some people go through buyers remorse. Once they start losing weight they begin feeling better about the way they look their attention refocuses and they feel better and hopefully your focus will too. Have you weighed to see how much weight you have lost? Please follow your doctor's plan for healthy living and try to refocus your mind on something positive. This will be the only way you will get out of this rut. You can do it. You have to chose to do so.  

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

yankeescl
on 4/21/14 3:22 am
RNY on 09/12/13

I felt like you did for the first month.  I did have complications and felt like I had made a huge mistake.  However, after I got past the emotional roller coaster of that first month, I have never felt happier.  To reap the HUGE benefits that being healthier and thinner, has been completely worth it.  I have never felt better physically or emotionally as I do now.  Please, be patient with yourself.  Do what your NUT, physicians and surgeons tell you to do.  Stay the course and you will find yourself getting better each day. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/14 3:22 am

This surgery is like a roller coaster.The work you put in to have it done.Researching and nutrition and hoping to have it be covered by insurance.It is very emotional.What are you having a hard time with?I think if you can be more specific it can help people help you.

I am about 6 months out I and I am glad I did this.The pain I had before the surgery was horrible.Not just physical but mental also. I like not having the worries if I am going to fit in a booth or fit on a chair at someones house.Looking at patio furniture scared the hell out of me.Still does.That plastic crap.I have lost weight gained confidence.But I am relearning things.I know I am not perfect by any means.

People here who are vets have helped me a lot.They might not tell you what you want to hear but they are here to help you. If you tell us why you feel like garbage maybe we can help.There are things I learned from the vets I would have never learned from my doctors office.

Take care

poet_kelly
on 4/21/14 3:49 am - OH

You are experiencing buyer's remorse, which is common.  I think the reason it's so common is this.  At this point, you've had major surgery, experience pain, a really restricted diet, hormonal upheaval and all the stressful stuff and bad parts of having WLS - but you haven't had much weight loss yet.  You aren't able to be more active, you can't go buy skinny clothes yet, you haven't gotten to any of the good parts yet.  Of course you're unhappy.

But the good parts will come.  Do you really think, if the good parts have come for everyone that had WLS before you, that you are the only one that won't get to the good stuff?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics