Surgery rescheduled-not meeting my preop goals :(

BWB
on 4/24/14 7:15 am

I agree with most of the responders… so briefly:

To get motivated, 

1. tape pictures of yourself on your refrigerator

2. Go shopping and pick out some size 12 clothes that you love and try them on.  

3. Try crossing your legs, knee on knee.  

4. Go for a brisk walk and see how long your energy lasts.  

5. If you aren't diabetic now you probably will be sometime in your life if you don't get your weight and sweets under control.  Talk to someone about what it is like to be on insulin and the $$$$$s that will cost. Not forgetting the varicose veins, sleep apnea, high BP, and the physical discomfort with ordinary activities ( tight chairs, etc).  

6. find a picture of a fatty liver.  Go on a fat reduction diet, it a diet that you can refer to anytime after surgery.

7. Use a cup saucer for your dinner plate.  

8. Get all the sugar out of your system and you won't crave it.  What you may not realize is once you get off of the sugar, white bread, etc. you will not like it  eventually.  Potato chips, cokes, sugar icing cakes taste horrible.  NASTY!

Take this disappointment as a learning experience, one month, two months will not make any difference if you have had a lifetime of being overweight.  Focus on a goal.  

And….if you have kids take this opportunity to get them on track with you.  It's not mean to take away the candy.

Ladybug81
on 4/24/14 8:45 am

Thank you all so much, I needed that swift kick and encouragement. I definately won't change my doctor. I trust him and feel good about him doing the surgery, he is one of the best in TX if not the best, IMO. I guess I didn't realize I was self sabatoging. I want to lose weight so desperately because I am at rock bottom on the other hand I'm scared that I won't be able to have a normal relationship with food. It's been a grieving process with sugar like losing a lifelong best friend who was never a great or positive friend but was there when I needed her. I know it sounds crazy hearing it out loud. I do think some of my gain was water weight because today I was 3lb lighter and that was just from drinking water. I subconsciously wasn't taking my surgeon seriously either. I figured since I was approved and had a date it was in stone. Easter I went overboard with the Reese's and cupcakes like a last hurrah. Now that I have set myself back and see hey there is a chance I might not get this and it's my fault, I'm scared into doing right. Thank you again :)

gabby169kitty
on 4/24/14 11:11 am

While you are working on the weight loss this month you can also work on your head game. I've started a journal to document the changes I've made and how I feel about them. I even made a collage on the front and back with positive messages about weight loss and self image. I wanted to make it mine, not just some generic looking journal. I sealed it with a collage glue, if you don't have any you can use diluted white school glue. a 50/50 mixture with water works well. I'm going to make more of them. I had a bunch of composition books. Write out your thoughts about failing to lose the 10 pounds and then your journey to lose them this month. Once you get writing you may discover deeper reasons for sabotaging yourself.

Surgery will be hopefully in October or November 2014, with Dr. Megan Gilmore

christyhall
on 4/24/14 10:25 am, edited 4/24/14 10:25 am
RNY on 04/28/14

My BMI was well over 60 when I first saw my surgeon, and she told me I needed to lose 40 pounds before surgery. I was so scared! But I trusted her, and she said if I could get my BMI under 60 I would have a decreased risk of complications. They set me up with a dietitian and an exercise consultant, and told me to track my food intake. Myfitnesspal is a great tool that helped a lot. I had to wait 6 months for insurance approval anyway, so it didn't delay me (if it was delaying the surgery I'd probably have been a lot more frustrated about it!) But I did it, and I feel great going into surgery on Monday. Honestly, just knowing that surgery would make it possible for me to finally lose weight and keep it off was incredibly motivating. You can do it!

RNY on April 28, 2014 with Laura July at Unity Hospital in Fridley (Twin Cities) Minnesota.

Starting weight in October 2013: 350 lbs. SW: 275 lbs. CW: 242 lbs.

AnneGG
on 4/26/14 6:19 pm

So many terrific helpful posts here!

The only thing I would add is that we've all been or are where you are now.

I was scared out of my gourd I wouldn't be able to succeed. I hated exercise and I inhaled sweets and carbs and chips and ice cream. I was deeply addicted, and just the thought of giving up my substances of choice was enough to give me a panic attack.

I don't recognize myself anymore. Actually, now I have to work at it to remember how I was before my surgery.

I'm a vote for chipping away at a goal bit by bit one day at a time. This surgery and aftermath stuff takes a tremendous amount of changing how we do things, and it takes practice and more practice to learn how to do that.

But it is important to start now, because all we have is now.

You can do this!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Friends K.
on 4/27/14 5:28 am
RNY on 01/14/14

I lost 13 on the pre op liquid diet for two weeks. It is an option to lose the weight fast!

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 345 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 342 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 290 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 461 views