Step away from the plate, chunko!

MyLady Heidi
on 5/4/14 7:40 am

I don't think I ever ate everything off a plate as I have alwasys been a picky eater.  I went to lunch with my son yesterday and got sirloin tips with grilled onions and peppers over rice.  I ordered the lunch portion and ate less then half and boxed the rest.  I can't bear the full feeling, my nose runs and my stomach hurts, I avoid that feeling at all costs.  I have eaten this way for years now, its a key to success.  Keep up the good work.

Dcgirl
on 5/4/14 7:47 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

What a great and thought-provoking post. And comments! I had a similar realization a little while ago. I'm in London with friends and it's one of their birthdays. After a late matinee show, we dropped all of our shopping bags at the hotel and went to find dinner at 8:30 pm. My friend said, "Oooh Jamie Oliver's restaurant!"  It's Italian. I saw a salmon on the menu and said "looks great!" though salmon is not my fave. My friends each got pasta dishes and shared a brownie dessert. I had half of the piece of salmon. I didn't feel deprived and I didn't miss the carbs I would have previously shoved on my mouth. I did have an awesome time. I worry so much about how long this will last, so it's great to hear from a vet like Kelly who is in maintenance for years...I am trying to retrain my brain :) This is a nice reminder that the small stomach isn't the only fix and instead we have to taste and savor our food, rather than mindlessly stuff it in until we are full!

mimiof2wins
on 5/4/14 8:54 am, edited 5/4/14 8:57 am - CA
RNY on 01/16/14

It's amazing how we can manage going out to eat with a little common sense.  My husband and I drove our daughter and granddaughters to LAX yesterday early in the morning.  We stopped for breakfast at an Ihop on our way back home.  My husband ordered a spinach and mushroom omlette with a side of sausage.  We told the waitress that we were going to split the meal.  She split it for us and brought two plates with the food evenly divided.  I took one third of my half of the omlette and one sausage.  It was delicious.  I didn't feel deprived at all. And I was completely full.  This is a win, win situation for my husband and I.  It saves us money and it cuts down on the amount of found he eats too. 

I am so thankful for this surgery. And I am thankful for the support I get on this forum.

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/14 9:41 am
RNY on 12/16/13

Great post!  It is amazing how we see food differently now.  I at out at a favorite local restaurant last week and I brought my own rubbermaid containers - this is the first time I have done this.  We were sitting in a booth and so it was easy to do this without drawing attention.  The staff has been great about accommodating my requests and were not at all surprised when I was boxing up my dinner before I ate - LOL!

Today we spent the day with our family and I laughed when I realized my small plate had less food on it than my 14 month old granddaughter's - granted at least half of her food ends up on the floor, and is consumed by her puppy.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 234 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 108 views
Recent Topics