Dont you love when you talk to your doctor about Price

Manny32
on 5/2/14 6:33 am - miami, FL
RNY on 04/08/14

and he says no the surgery will be $18.000 and will cover everything yet 

today i got a bill from the hospital that they charged my insurance over $43,000 and i have to pay 2,300 dollars

i love litle  or should I say big lies like that.  

poet_kelly
on 5/2/14 7:20 am - OH

I'm guessing he was only talking about the price he charges to perform the surgery.  He probably doesn't know what the hospital charges for everything.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Manny32
on 5/2/14 7:24 am - miami, FL
RNY on 04/08/14

no he said everything was included on the 18,000 hospital stay as well but i will be going on monday  with that bill and ask him why i have to pay 2,300 dollars i dont get it.

EmmyK
on 5/2/14 8:33 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

Check with your insurance company.  Did you have a deductible?

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

Manny32
on 5/2/14 8:46 am - miami, FL
RNY on 04/08/14

the bill say my insurance pay everything  but  that extra  is what ticks me 

EmmyK
on 5/2/14 8:57 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

If you have an online sign in for your insurance, they sometimes have a break down of the explanation of benefits.  You can also check on your deductible.  I'd start there so you have a clear answer from the insurance side before you talk to the doctor and hospital.  Good luck!

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

Kimberly K.
on 5/2/14 9:12 am
RNY on 03/21/14

It may be your insurance charges a maximum out of pocket amount per person per year. Check you policy.

Kim K.    

AnnyBananny
on 5/2/14 8:35 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

That sucks! It sounds like it might be a deductible? But appeal, appeal, appeal!

I just checked my insurance claims online and it looks like the hospital billed around $110,000 (!!!), my insurance paid about $37,000 of it, but I don't owe anything more. What happened to the rest? I don't understand medical costs and insurance AT ALL!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

AR_Queen
on 5/3/14 2:30 am
RNY on 05/29/13

The difference is the contractual adjustment that the provider agreed to accept from the insurance company.  $18,000 sounds low to me, and it sounds like a price that would be quoted to a self pay (no insurance coverage) patient.  In general, the doctor is NOT the best source for information on how much procedures will cost, and everyone bills separately.  The surgeon (and assistant surgeon if applicable), anesthesiologist, pathologist and hospital will all bill separately.  The amount you are being billed sounds like deductible and/or out of pocket maximum.  Prior to going into any procedure, patients should educate themselves on their insurance coverage and what their expected out of pocket amounts will be.  In fact, the WLS practice that I went through had a 3 page document that patients are required to complete, which involved contacting our own insurance to verify coverages and out of pocket amounts.  If this claim was processed according to the original poster's policy, there is nothing to appeal.  He will just need to see what kind of financial assistance or payment plans are available to him from his provider.

RainbowRN
on 5/2/14 7:51 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

my hospital charged $53,000 for my RNY.  The insurance paid $13,000 and I didn't have to pay anything.   

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

Most Active
Recent Topics