What appetizers do you eat when you go out?

Blackbird1987
on 5/6/14 6:36 am, edited 5/6/14 10:22 pm

I have only eaten out at restaurants a few times and I know that protein is the way to go but I have heard a lot of people say "just get an appetizer". A lot of the appetizers that I see are all fried or bad for you… I am curious, what kind of appetizers do you eat? 

I know people usually go with entrees and eat the veggies and grilled chicken or shrimp but in an effort to order LESS food (if I can't get the kids menu) I am curious about what appetizers work for people.

**EDIT** To clarify, I meant ordering an appetizer INSTEAD of an entree in an effort to receive less food. (Not in addition to a meal haha) I can eat very little portions and if you saw my fridge and freezer you would see why less is best :) 

Thanks! 

MyLady Heidi
on 5/6/14 6:50 am, edited 5/6/14 6:56 am

My son is the king of apps, he usually gets chicken bites or potato skins or mozz sticks.  I typically eat one of whatever he gets if it looks appetizing.  But none of them are healthy and I don't ever eat them as a main meal.  The issue is if I eat one of these things, I usually cannot eat much of my dinner.  My son said I am a joke to go out to eat with.  He said why do you even look at the menu you should just tell the server to surprise you, that I would eat just as much.  I think next week when we go to dinner I am gonna do that just to **** with him. lol lol  The problem is if I order that way he probably won't like what I get and won't get to take it home like he usually does.

The Salty Hag
on 5/6/14 6:51 am
RNY on 05/20/13

The places where I go on a semi-regular basis don't really have great appetizers for RNY post-ops, so I opt for just ordering an entree, eat what I'm able, and box up the rest for left-overs. 

I'll be interested to see the replies, maybe I need to patronize better places...lol. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Cunning_Pam
on 5/6/14 7:03 am
RNY on 12/18/13

It depends on where we go to eat. From what I've found the more upscale restaurants generally have a better selection of WLS-friendly appetizers. This isn't snobbish, but just economic fact: frozen, breaded, fried, carb-laden appetizers are cheap to buy, store and prepare, so they're more commonly found. From the restaurants we usually frequent, I generally get Thai (or PF Changs or other style) lettuce wraps (hold wonton strips or other carby additions), blackened or seared ahi tuna, bacon-wrapped shrimp, chicken satay, moo ping pork, seared scallops, or similar.  

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

AR_Queen
on 5/7/14 11:41 am
RNY on 05/29/13

Love PF Chang lettuce wraps!!  Yum!!

jefferytmc
on 5/6/14 7:03 am

Yeah, appetizers are not typically healthy.

I just get a regular meal and either split it with my wife (she had RNY 3 months before I did) or I just take the leftovers home for another meal.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

senelrad
on 5/6/14 7:17 am

My husband and I eat out a couple times a week. I usual get salad with dressings on the side, so I can take what I don't eat home and eat off of the left overs for lunch. I was amazed how many Resturants do not have at least one or two healthy appetizers. So most of the time I order from the menu. Outback has the ahi ahi appetizer and I have ordered that as a meal. My hubby use to love ordering appetizers but has stopped since my surgery, because he knows if I eat just one item/piece... I'm done! When I order from the menu I immed half my meal. Take home 1/2 for lunch and eat what I can of the remainder, what I don't finish I leave! I do order off the child menus. Buffets are tricky, sometimes I'll get a to go container, put what I want in there, pay for it and eat from my to go container, that way I can take home what I do no eat.....but some places will not let you eat in the restaurant from a to go container no matter whether you pay up front or not. The Chinese buffet near our house knows me & will accommodate my picky eating.  They have gotten to the place where they see me at the door and bring my a container before we can sit. Weight it for me and bring it back to me and wait till the end of the meal to ring us up!

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/14 7:34 am

We have a lot of places that have fresh seafood on the menu such as clams scallops and crab.Appetizers of clams or mussels are good but sometimes I feel like I am hungry afterwards.

.Some of the appetizers are usually buffalo wings,or other unhealthy items. I do get a hamburger sometimes when I go out with no bun and lettuce and tomato. And of course pickles.For some reason I crave pickles all the time.

I do get a meal sometimes and then end up eating it for three meals.I don't mind.

Bsheldon
on 5/6/14 7:52 am

I only just started eating solid food a couple of weeks ago. However, my husband and I go out every Wednesday. The first week, I just ate a few bites off of his plate because I was still very new to food. Last week, I ordered a Mexican shrimp ****tail… it was fabulous, full of shrimp. I ate about half of it and had the other half for lunch the next day. This is the first thing that I have eaten that didn't irritate my new tummy, not even a little! I would also try the regular shrimp ****tail if I were to go there again. If it is only fried foods on the app menu, I would just pay the extra for an entree and take the leftovers home, you could eat on them for days! :)

Surgery Date: 4/10/14 HW-279 SW-270 CW-144 GW-140

aesposito
on 5/6/14 8:05 am

I almost never have room for my meal if I eat an appetizer because they are so carb-heavy, so other than a taste of other people's, I don't bother ordering them.  A lot of times my boyfriend and I will split a regular meal (he will eat 2/3 and I will eat 1/3 or so).

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 265 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 278 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 319 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 277 views