Pre-Op Liquid Diet Questions

Amber L.
on 5/17/14 2:26 pm - Grandview, MO

I'm 11 days away from my surgery date and in the "liquid" diet stage. My rules: Up to 4 protein shakes, broth, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, crystal light, or ocean spray sugar free drinks. How am I doing? STARVING. I can't get my mind off my belly. I've never had such a hard time with sticking to a diet. I'm not sure why this time I'm struggling so much, but I am. Any suggestions?

The other thing I'm struggling with in this diet is the gas. My stomach feels like a hot air balloon - is that normal? I have lactose free shakes, but it doesn't seem to matter. 

Also, with this many liquids as food, do you think I still need to fit in more water? I'm already in the bathroom every five minutes, i can't imagine adding more, but I will if I need to!

Not trying to whine, just need a bit of encouragement, I guess. So close, I'd hate to be defeated at the finish line.

Surgery date: May 28, 2014 | Heaviest Weight: 323 | Height: 5'9" | Age: 30

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/14 10:29 pm
RNY on 12/16/13

Congrats on moving forward.  I found the first 3-4 days on liquids to be the hardest - and on the third day I was super grouchy. Hang in there and focus on the future!  I found Gas X helped with gas. You've got this!

karin602
on 5/17/14 10:56 pm - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

And just take it a day at a time. This will pass and you'll feel so good about yourself. First step towards success.

Karin

poet_kelly
on 5/17/14 11:20 pm - OH

Are you mixing your protein shakes with milk?  Is that more milk than you typically drink?  If so, the gas is probably lactose intolerance.  Try Lactaid milk, soy milk, almond milk or coconut milk.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bluedog1925
on 5/18/14 12:22 am

It took me 10 months from seminar date to surgery date to prepare and those last two weeks were the toughest. But after surgery you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about. 

If you are good and hydrated before surgery, you will have an easier time post op.

Good luck!!!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/18/14 12:34 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Swanson's chicken tortilla broth was a lifesaver for me.  It felt like savory food.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Tanya S.
on 5/18/14 2:21 am
RNY on 03/25/14

Yes, I remember feeling the same way. I was sick of liquids. Hang in there it is definitely better post surgery. The hunger goes away and you have to watch the clock to be sure and eat enough during the day.

Your totally count for liquids during the day includes all liquids not jus****er. So you only have to add enough water to get your total up to what your plan recommends. Mine is 64 ounces per day.

robynimac229
on 5/18/14 2:46 am
RNY on 08/21/13

Congrats on moving forward. I know it is difficult to follow this diet after you have been on liquids for a few days, but think of the end goal. You can do this. It is important to follow this diet. The liquids help the liver inflammation to go down and to clean you out before surgery. They do have to go in and clean out your bowels before they do the RNY so it helps in the process to have been on the liquid diet. It will help your surgery and recovery go smoother.

HW 249 -  CW 158 - GW 115  Blog: http://robynsweightlossjourney.blogspot.com/

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Cunning_Pam
on 5/18/14 6:05 am
RNY on 12/18/13

"They do have to go in and clean out your bowels before they do the RNY"...where are you getting this information from? I'm curious, as I've never seen anything about this before. It's my understanding that generally a clear liquid diet pre-operatively and/or being NPO after midnight the night before surgery is enough to "clean out your bowels", especially since RNY is done on the stomach and upper portion of the small intestine. Can you cite some sources for the process you're describing here?

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Kimquilts55
on 5/18/14 3:14 am - The Colony, TX

Soy products give me gas....if you are using soy milk....maybe try the coconut or almond?...I start my liquid pre-op June 10....thanks for posting this question it was helpful to hear the responses.

Kimberly 227-227-140

MY WLS Blog  

Surgery date: June 17 2014

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 324 views