Called a Cheater

Lisa87
on 5/20/14 10:59 am, edited 5/20/14 11:04 am
RNY on 12/13/13

I ran into an old classmate.

She asked me how I had lost all my weight.

So I told her- Gastric bypass RNY. I am not keeping it a secret.

If someone asks I tell them.

Her response was, " Oh you're a cheater!"

I'm not going to lie, her comment stung a bit.

I didn't waiver-

I replied that I had had enough of failing time after time.

I also added, that this is by far the best decision I have ever made for myself.

No regrets!!!!

Lisa87 

5'4"

Cunning_Pam
on 5/20/14 11:09 am, edited 5/20/14 2:07 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

The correct response here, as far as I'm concerned: "Oh, you're an idiot."

Good for you for standing by your decision! I'm glad it's gone so well for you, congrats!

(Edited to add: My initial response was overly harsh. I get frustrated by the number of posts from people describing how little support they get from people when they decide on surgery, as well as the outright rude and ignorant comments they receive. I'm just in a "People suck" mood lately. I apologize if anyone was offended by my admittedly knee-jerk response.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Lisa87
on 5/20/14 11:15 am
RNY on 12/13/13

It did cross my mind. 

However, I am sure I have put my big foot in my mouth on more than one occasion. 

I was just taken aback for a split second. 

I thought I handled it well.

Thanks!

onefourthofme
on 5/21/14 2:55 am

I totally understand, Pam - that was my knee-jerk reaction too!  I LIKE to think I handle people like that in my life with more grace, but sometimes I DO knee-jerk. That woman has no clue, and is ignorant.  I've lost 70 lbs, no surgery (yet - perhaps never b/c of insurance probs) - but i would NEVER call someone who has had surgery a cheater. What a horrible thing to say. I"m impressed with the original poster's grace in handling that situation.  Hopefully, the only "sting" that will remain, is pity - for the ignorance of her old classmate.  -Beth.

Louise1974
on 5/20/14 11:30 am

You handled it amazingly well.  It is like that martial art where instead of fighting against you disengage which gives the attacker nothing to hold on to.  Do you know what I mean?  By disengaging who are they going to fight with?  People have odd reactions sometimes.  I went to lunch with someone today who hadn't seen me since before surgery, 100 pounds ago, she was shocked.  I mean shocked.  And she couldn't recover from it.  She just couldn't deal with how different I looked.  It was odd how strong her reaction was.  It is about her.  Your classmate's reaction is all about her and her issues.  I am not saying that Pam's idea is a bad one, sometimes it is okay to put people in their place.  But I think you did great!

Lisa87
on 5/20/14 11:38 am
RNY on 12/13/13

Thanks

selhard
on 5/20/14 12:06 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I think you handled it well, too.  One of the worst I've ever heard was this remark:  "...so you bought your way thin at everyone's expense." (referring to why insurance premiums are high).  

AK_Gipson
on 5/20/14 10:55 pm
VSG on 04/14/14

As opposed to the thousands paid out to correct heart problems, heart surgeries, and diabetes. And pain meds. Oh and the life insurance companies would owe my spouse a lot! Dumb people! Do they really think the insurance companies don't do a cost analysis? If surgery wasn't cheaper for them in the long run, they would never approve it. I had a friend who is extremely overweight and is going to weigh****chers who told my hubby ( while I was in surgery) she wouldn't have wls because of what the bible says... Really?? she'd better be glad I was unconscious!  And no she never said what the bible was supposed to have said about it lol

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

poet_kelly
on 5/20/14 12:11 pm - OH

Her comment doesn't even make sense.  Who did you cheat?  How is choosing a very effective medical treatment for the medical problem of obesity cheating?  When I had gallstones, was it cheating to have my gallbladder removed?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

aesposito
on 5/20/14 1:05 pm

This!

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 257 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 270 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 316 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views