BOGO at Walgreens on many supplements this week

Cunning_Pam
on 5/25/14 1:17 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

Since there are a couple of posts about supplements, I thought I'd mention that Walgreens has a buy one get one special running on many vitamins and supplements this week. Their store brand is buy one get one free for many of the products, and name brands have quite a few buy one get one half off. (You do need the Walgreens card to get these special prices, however.) I picked up enough calcium citrate cheap to last me until the end of the year, as well as a couple of other supplements Feosol brand carbonyl iron was apparently being phased out at my local store, so I scored a couple of bottles of it for 7.00 each.

It's worth signing up to get the weekly circular emailed to you IMO, as they often have specials on vitamins and supplements.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Kimberlyo
on 5/25/14 1:25 pm - CA
RNY on 04/28/14

Thanks for the update, I have been taking gummies, I don't feel like their doing their job! I had my surgery 4-28-14. I have my 1 mos. appt. on Tuesday. Just did blood work so I'll see how I've done.

Kimberly O

poet_kelly
on 5/25/14 2:31 pm - OH

Gummies for your multi?  Or your calcium or what?

There are no gummy multis that have all the nutrients we need.  Most are missing a bunch of minerals.  Look at the label. Does it have copper?  Zinc?  Selenium?  What about all the B vitamins?  is there thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, biotin, B6, folate and pantothenic acid in it?

I don't think there are any gummies that are calcium citrate, either.  If you are using gummies for calcium, I'm guessing it is tricalcium phosphate, which we can't absorb.

Your blood work might be fine just one month out.  But it won't stay fine if you take vitamins that are missing half the nutrients we need.  Also, some surgeons don't order labs like copper, zinc and selenium unless you specifically ask for them, so in that case your blood work wouldn't tell you if you were getting enough of those things.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

browneyes65
on 5/25/14 2:01 pm - IN

Thanks !

mama_dee54
on 5/25/14 10:11 pm

I shop at Walgreens. I am going to try and get over there too. 

Laura in Texas
on 5/25/14 10:17 pm

Thanks for sharing. CVS is having a BOGO sale this week, too.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

JJ0609
on 5/26/14 12:22 am

Thanks Pam! Always so helpful! Gotta love you! Thanks for heads up on iron and calcium!

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/14 6:49 am
RNY on 12/16/13

Thanks for posting this!  I do have a question though - and I have already emailed my NUT to ask her this :-)

I am reading the labels on multivitamins for women 50+, the Walgreen's brand, and One-a-Day and Centrum all have 500 mg. of calcium carbonate - so that would = 1000 mg. per day, supplemented with one 500 mg calcium citrate.  Given that Calcium Citrate absorbs better, should I stay away from the 50+ vitamins, and take a regular multivitamin and 1,500 calcium citrate.  I am interested to know what you think, and what my NUT tells me too.  Thanks!

poet_kelly
on 5/26/14 7:58 am - OH

You won't absorb the calcium carbonate, so it doesn't matter how much of that is in your multi.  You still need to take 1500 to 2000 mg calcium citrate.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cunning_Pam
on 5/26/14 9:39 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Personally, I just ignore the calcium carbonate in the multivits. If I had a kidney stone problem I might then rethink the issue and try to find multis without any calcium carbonate, but since that's not a problem for me I just don't consider it into the total amount of calcium I need for the day. I take 2000 mg of calcium citrate separate from my multis.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Most Active