Hi

txbari
on 5/28/14 2:28 pm

I'm Fran. I'm 95% booked to have MGB with Dr Rodriguez in Juarez next week. Have to finish getting the finances in order. I may go by myself, it's hard to ask anyone to make arrangements before things are set in stone. 

It may sound like a rush decision, but I've researched and dreamed for years and it's finally coming together.

My biggest worry is that I don't have a passport, but I'll probably get it Friday. Beliteweight.com said I wouldn't have trouble in Juarez without it, but my family is pushing me to get it anyway.

Can anyone speak from experience on this?

And I know I'm on the wrong board, but this is the closest to my surgery and I need a board with actual traffic and hopefully some actual support.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/28/14 9:48 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Good luck, but you won't be able to come back into the country without a passport. When did you file the paperwork?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

txbari
on 5/29/14 1:35 pm

I have not filed for a passport. Beliteweight.com told me that at the El Paso/Juarez border passports are encouraged, but not required.

My discussion with the passport agency made me believe that, yes, if I paid enough extra fees and with an appointment and a medical necessity letter I could get it that day.

At this point, I've hit a financial hurdle and have to postpone at least a week. I can't even go and pay the regular passport fees until the middle of next week, and then we will go from there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/29/14 2:04 pm, edited 5/29/14 2:04 pm - OH

Someone gave you bad information.  You cannot get a passport the same day under any cir****tances.  Even the expedited processing is at least a week (their "goal" is to process it within 8 days).

Even getting a replacement passport from a US Embassy (if you have all the appropriate documentation) if your passport is lost or stolen while out of the country is almost never happens the same day.  They simply cannot do all of the background checking and/or verifications in a single day.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

White Dove
on 5/28/14 10:00 pm, edited 5/28/14 10:00 pm - Warren, OH

Welcome Fran

I am sure that most of the people on this board know little about the mini gastric bypass and that we can learn a lot from your experience.

Can you tell us the difference between an RNY and what you are having done?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/29/14 12:40 pm - OH

The MGB has only one anastamosis rather than two with a RNY because instead of a pouch (although they still refer to it as a pouch), it is a sleeve where the bottom of the sleeve is attached directly to the intestine at the end of the bypassed portion of intestine.  

The advantages are that with only one anastamosis it is a simpler, faster procedure with (theoretically) reduced risk of leaks.  The disadvantages -- other than that VERY few surgeons do it and insurance generally won't cover it -- are that people can have severe reflux issues (even if they didn't before surgery) and sometimes there can be complications because of the awkwardness of how the sleeve is attached to the intestine.

Lora

txbari
on 5/29/14 1:48 pm

Thank you. I had been reprimanded by an MGB 'expert' by describing it as a sleeve with an extra bypass element.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/29/14 2:22 pm - OH

Yeah, one of the surgeons I work with said something about how the surgeons who actually do the procedure insist on calling it a pouch even though it is a sleeve.   Not sure why they are so touchy about a single word, but apparently they are.

Lora

rocky513
on 5/28/14 10:01 pm - WI

It usually takes MONTHS to get a passport.  My husband and I had to get passports in a hurry many years ago.  We were sent to Chicago and had to stand in line and jump through hoops for the entire day and pay an extra charge, but they issued our passports the same day.  I don't know where you are located, but maybe you can call The State Department or the number for the National Passport Information Center is 877-487-2778.
 Good Luck!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

txbari
on 5/29/14 1:50 pm

I talked to them yesterday. Plan to go next week and pay the fees or apply at normal speed based on how I decide to reschedule.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 221 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 306 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 129 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?