I love the fancy allergist!

Louise1974
on 6/4/14 10:15 am

I finally went to the fancy allergist to get some direction about the wacky problems I have been having.  And I LOVE him!  You have to know that I really really really don't enjoy medical professionals most of the time.  I really do not like the way I am treated by most.  But this doctor was amazing.  He spent two solid hours with me making sure he understand the progression of my symptoms.  He was really kind and thoughtful.  He was awesome.  YAhoo!!  If I could just get him to be my primary care doctor and to live for another 50 years I would be SET for life. 

He has some ideas about what is going on, he says I am Atopic which means I have a "special" or "unique" immune system which is very reactive.  I have always known there was something special about me.  hehe.  So I have a bunch of environmental allergies and he said that I probably have food allergies too, and possibly an unusual reaction to stomach acid, which is really interesting to me.  He referred me to a GI doc and called himself to get me an appt (got me in next week!), he wants all sorts of tests which I had asked for with other doctors but was dismissed.  ugh.  It was really validating.  He just kept saying that we need to have a systematic approach to the problem and that it might take some time but we will figure it out.  That is what I need sooooo badly.  So for the moment nothing much has changed except that I feel like I have a real partner in this.  So I will keep my diet the same (meat and veggies meat and veggies) for now but as I get more clarification I might be able to add foods back in. 

His office is far away, but, on the way home today I found a sweet little hike that I can do every time I have to go down there.  It was really steep and the perfect distance for a quick run up and back.  And beautiful at the top!  I saw a million little tiny orange lizards and about a thousand frogs.  It was a good day!

poet_kelly
on 6/4/14 11:17 am - OH

I'm so glad it went well!

I wonder if he can recommend a PCP that has a similar approach for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Patm
on 6/4/14 11:36 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Todays prepared foods have so many chemicals and additives. I have issues with many of them. I wish you luck in finding out your issues

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/4/14 12:04 pm

Did he test you for any allergies ? 

After RNY I developed severe soy allergies, allergy to dairy, gluten intolerance and intolerance to artificial sweeteners (splenda) . 

My first visit to allergist  he checked me for allergy to basic food groups.  If I ingest soy or dairy - I feel like crap for a few days.  

Good luck. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Louise1974
on 6/4/14 1:00 pm

He skin tested me for a few foods but he said that skin tests aren't as reliable for food as they are for environmental allergens.  I don't think I showed up reactive to many foods (just eggs, I will have to expriement with that) but he said that doesn't mean there isn't an allergy because skin tests aren't always reliable with foods.  He wants me to see a GI person as a first step to have them do a endoscopy and colonoscopy and to stay on the diet I have been on for a few more weeks before we look at that.  He said that then we might have a better idea of what is happening and can do some more elimination/challenge tests with the food.  It is very clear to me that if I eat gluten or dairy it completely messes me up, for 48-62 hours.  I just can't figure out if it is just the carbs that are doing it or if it is an actual allergy.  I ate some twizzlers to try to test that theory and I felt crummy in a wls dumping way but nothing like what I get after gluten or dairy.  So...  maybe that is my answer?  All I know is that I need a good doctor helping me out with this because it is making me nutty to try to figure it all out by myself.  So I am really relieved.  

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/5/14 12:57 am

Cool.  I know what you mean with gluten and dairy - I have allergy (skin test confirmed) to dairy.. but gluten does not show as allergy on skin test - but I am sure I have gluten intolerance.  It messes me up for a few days. 

I did not show egg allergies and as long as I eat 1-2 eggs a day I am fine. 

Some food allergies can be reversed with diet and some supplements.  I am working on that. I hope I will be able to tolerate some dairy (cheese)  at one time.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 169 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 250 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 303 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 262 views