Hair today...gone tomorrow.

Blackbird1987
on 6/12/14 11:14 pm

It finally has started. I am losing my hair in clumps. *sigh* I am going to try to keep a positive attitude because I know it will eventually stop and even grow back but man, is it alarming at first! 

I tried to prepare myself for the first 3 months saying that I knew this was a possibility but at about a little over 3 months it started and now at 3.5 it is in full force. When I brush my hair or shower, I am cleaning out the drain every time or pulling huge tufts of hair from my brush. 

I have heard of people cutting their hair to make it look fuller. Are there any tips of the trade that help to disguise the hair loss? (so far I don't think anyone can tell, I have long thick hair) 

I have also been trying to limit how much I brush my hair, is this frivolous… should I just bru**** and accept the fact that it will fall out either way? 

Thanks! 

Ashley

White Dove
on 6/12/14 11:51 pm - Warren, OH

I was in the trade for many years and know many tricks. 

Shampoo at least once a day and brush 100 strokes at night.  Lots of hair might come out, but that is OK, it is already dead and just clogging up the follicles.  Once that loose hair is out of the hair follicle, then the follicle is cleared to start growing new hair.  It is healthier to keep the hair clean.  Cutting down on shampooing lets oils build up and clog the hair follicles.  Sort of like head acne.  So number one, keep it clean and stimulate the scalp with brushing and massage.

There are great products to make hair look fuller.  Talk with your stylist or your local beauty supply or order online.  I love WEN Tea Tree Oil formulas. If you do get noticeable thin spots, a powder called Toppik will do wonders. 

A short layered cut might be just what you need.  It certainly cuts down on the amount of hair in the drains and makes the growing in stage quicker and easier.  Hair grows 1/2 inch a month, so it takes a year to get six inches of new growth when regrowth starts.  Getting in your vitamins and protein gives your body the nourishment it needs.  Right now it is working on getting your internal organs healed up and not sparing nutrition of hair and nails which it considers optional. 

The better you feed your healing body, the quicker everything will get back to normal, including hair growth.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Castine1234
on 6/13/14 12:07 am
RNY on 05/06/14

What kind of Wen oils, conditioner?  Thanks for reply.

White Dove
on 6/13/14 12:58 am - Warren, OH

Tea Tree Cleansing Conditioner and Tea Tree Styling Cream.  Order from http://chazdean.com

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Gypsyqueen5
on 6/13/14 12:23 pm - Seattle, WA

Yes I thought I would escape the hair loss. But nope falling out  in clumps. I think it is good to brush your hair  cause it stimulates your scalp. Yes hair in my drains all over the floor and in my mouth and in everyones food. LOL crazy. Glad it is only temporary. Best of luck to you~

SeattleSeagirl

karenp8
on 6/12/14 11:58 pm - Brighton, IL

I color my hair because I have loads of gray and I found when I kept it colored it looked fuller and I felt better about how it looked too! Just keep focusing on the positive things: weight loss,more energy,and more mobility and it won't seem quite so bad.

SHMILY
on 6/13/14 1:10 am

I am just tired of the mess and am afraid to cook for anyone else. LOL

Surgery Feb 26, 2014. Starting wt 270 lbs

leslie14
on 6/13/14 1:11 pm

I had long hair and it got so thin and stringy looking I had to cut it off .  I'm trying to pretend it is short and sassy now :)  BUT, I started using Biotin (I'm taking 5000 mg/day....someone recently told me to do that amount twice a day and I may up it) AND my stylist suggested I use Redken's Intra Force.  I'm using the shampoo, toner, daily stimulating scalp treatment, and one other intense scalp treatment they have (can't find the name, sorry). I do find it all a little drying so do all that to my scalp then use a good moisturizing conditioner on the ends. Plus I am using the Intra Force Hair Densifier Thickening Foam (a mousse) and it helps just make it look fuller. My hair started thinning in January, and by February was coming out fast. Started using all that product in late February, and now it seems to be pretty normal as far as losing, and I have a ton of new growth. So I'm sure someday it will be back to normal!!  I figure it is a small price to pay for the success of the surgery:)  Good luck!

Surgery 10/1/2013  

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 279 views