Question about blood test..?

RRach
on 7/2/14 8:57 am

I had a blood test months ago to test for hPlyori and etc. But there were blood tests that could not be done any sooner than 30 days before surgery. Mine is scheduled for the 23rd (they called me today and moved it up a day). My blood work is next Thursday. What is this blood work for? My curious mind was wanting to know. :)

"Never Give Up: There is no such thing as an ending. Just a new beginning.

molly3613
on 7/2/14 10:19 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

Perhaps just the base line.  It will tell you where you started on all levels so you can track your future levels.  If one thing is low to start with you need to know.  Base line readings are important.

Racewalker48
on 7/2/14 12:15 pm
RNY on 02/17/14

Since every surgeon/hospital varies on what they want to see pre-op, you gotta ask your doc that one.  I can't even begin to anticipate what labs they would want.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/3/14 2:58 pm - OH

Is is likely that they will be testing for a number of things to be sure that there are no problems they need to address before, during, or right after surgery: vitamin levels including iron level, things like red and white blood counts and general blood chemistry, liver and kidney function, blood clotting functions, etc. 

Those are all things that can change just over the course of a few weeks so they need to be done relatively close to your surgery date.   The hospital system I use also now requires a nasal swab to test for MRSA before surgery so that they can treat it and re-test prior to your surgery date. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 255 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 269 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views