Clear liquid Diet/BMs

meganmcg
on 7/6/14 12:52 am

Hi everyone,

I had surgery on Wednesday and was on a clear liquid diet for 3 days beforehand. That being said the last day I had solid food was last Saturday, and that was the last time I had a BM. I am drinking as much as I can- water, chicken broth, protein shakes, etc. but haven't had a BM in over a week. Should I be concerned? I asked before I left the hospital, but the doctor didn't really give me an answer. 

poet_kelly
on 7/6/14 1:19 am - OH

I wouldn't be concerned unless you feel constipated.  When you aren't eating any solid foods, you don't produce much solid waste (although you do still produce some).  Also, you're not getting any fiber, so there is no bulk to any stool in there.  You  might want to call your doc's office in the morning, though, and ask if you should add a fiber supplement or a stool softener.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Krisgwinn
on 7/6/14 10:39 am
RNY on 07/01/14 with

I know my doctor said that if I hadn't had one 5 days after discharge to take milk of magnesia, but I would check with your surgeon to be sure!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 8 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 255 views