What does the leak test entail?

Harpo2332
on 7/11/14 12:23 am

Wondnering what the leak test entails.  it cant be like the barium swallow becasue i would think the new stomach couldnt handle that.  I'n new here. I am waiting on insurance approval and I am going to have the RNY.  Thank you ahead of time for your help!

Nancy

angeleigh
on 7/11/14 12:26 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Lol for mine it was a barium swallow. Not a fun test. I had to do it the day after RNY. Just make sure the person doing the test knows you had RNY done.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

SHMILY
on 7/11/14 1:09 am

Yes but a VERY small amount and not bad at all

Surgery Feb 26, 2014. Starting wt 270 lbs

angeleigh
on 7/11/14 1:20 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

The person who did mine didn't know I had just had RNY, so they tried to do the normal full swallow on me, until I told the guy to go **** off and call my doctor. I had barium coming up for almost the whole day. So that is why I say to make sure they know you had RNY.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

lomercha
on 7/11/14 4:34 am

Looking back, the WORST part of my whole experience was the barium swallow/leak test process. Yes, I did have to swallow enough for the test to work and yes it was uncomfortable and made me very nauseated!!! However, I would still do it in a heart beat.

molly3613
on 7/11/14 6:24 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

Mine was just a small sip but that made me incredibly nauseous.  The young man who pushed me from my room to the test was so careful and considerate.  Then the moron who pushed me back to my room was not.  I was so nauseated by then. She got lost and got off on the wrong floor them kicked it into high speed to get me back to the right floor and room.  I wound up screaming at her to slow down and be careful or I was calling the authorities and reporting her.  That was so not like me at all.  She thought it was funny.  She actually stopped off at some nursing station on the way for a piece of birthday cake.  That and the morphine allergy caused a bad memory but I would do it all again tomorrow if I had to.  No regrets here.  Absolutely none.

basilmk
on 7/11/14 8:59 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I just had a very small amount and the test was no big deal.

The best part was, having no leaks, I was given jello and mashed potatoes as soon as I got back to my room!  Pretty exciting after 24 hours of ice chips.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/11/14 11:48 am - OH

Has your surgeon already indicated that (s)he does a leak test AFTER surgery?  Most surgeons do leak testing at the end of the original procedure so that they find the problem right then rather than finding a leak later and having to subject you to a second surgery.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amy D.
on 7/12/14 3:26 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12

I did my leak test the day after surgery, although I do believe they do a preliminary leak test while you're still on the table but I'm fuzzy on the details at this point. I enjoyed it! I'm probably just a sick individual but I was so happy to swallow something, even the disgusting barium, that I thought it was great, lol. I was able to see the screen while it was happening and that was really cool. My test was administered by a rad tech with the help of the bariatric NP from my surgeon's office so no chance of a mix up on what I was there for.

Good luck with your surgery!

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
Nova B.
on 7/13/14 2:11 pm - Northglenn, CO
RNY on 04/15/14

My leak test was done the day after surgery, like everyone else.  They had me drink some funky liquid and stood me up in front of an x-ray machine where they took several pictures to watch the liquid go down to make sure there were no leaks.  The stuff I drank was not barium but if they didn't see what they needed to see with the first liquid they had the barium ready to go for round two.  Luckily the first one was fine and I had no leaks and was sent back to my room.  I was nauseous before the test so I cant tell you if what I drank made it any worse. 

HW: 293  Pre Liquid Diet Weight: 288  SW: 270  CW: 190.5

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 201 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 256 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views