Anyone here have surgery a LONG TIME ago?

catalina07
on 7/19/14 4:04 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

I am wondering if there is anyone here who had the RNY surgery a long time ago? I want to know if there are people out there that have had long term weight loss? I have the band and will be getting revised to the RNY soon. The band did not work for me...and I am wondering if people have had long term success with the RNY or if most end up gaining it back eventually. I am just trying to get as much info as I can. Thanks

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/19/14 4:34 am - OH

Define "a long time ago".  There are a number of us who are still here who had our RNYs 6-10 years ago...

You will find that the "vets" who are still here on OH have maintained their loss, but there are many others who no longer participate here (or who never did, of course) who have regained some -- or even much -- of their weight back.  Staying connected here helps us stay mindful of our eating whereas people who don't maintain any kind of link to a support system are less mindful about what they eat and are therefore more likely to regain.

Once your body overcomes the caloric malabsorption from the surgery, it is just the healthy eating habits and the pouch restriction (which changes a lot over the course of the first year) that enable you to maintain the loss, so keeping aware of what you are eating and what you are supposed to be eating and not eating really is key to long-term success.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

catalina07
on 7/19/14 11:36 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

6-10 years works for me as a long time ago. It is good to hear that there are some people who DO manage to maintain their weight loss. I was starting to feel like everyone loses the first year or two...but that almost everyone gains it all back eventually. I want to work hard at this. I really want this to work.

What did you mean by "your body overcomes the caloric malabsorption". Somehow your body manages to find a way around malabsorption? That doesnt seem fair. :(

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/20/14 2:44 am - OH

After surgery, your body realizes that something is amiss and your intestines begin to grow additional villi (the tiny, hair-like structures that actually absorb the nutrients from the food) and to lengthen the existing ones in order to increase absorption.  This process starts shortly after surgery, and by 18-24 months out, your body has been able t overcome about 80% of the caloric malabsorption.  So, you will still malabsorb some calories (especially those from fats), but it is much less than right after surgery.  

The lack of absorption of vitamins, however, is permanent.  Different vitamins get absorbed in different portions of the intestine, and the portion of the intestine that we have had bypassed is the primary location for absorption of calcium, iron, some of the B vitamins, and Vit C, D,E, and K. Your intestine cannot "learn" to absorb these in other places, so that is why we have to take supplements for life.

There seem to be a lot of surgeons who never mention this to their patients, and I find that appalling!  People need to understand -- especially if they are choosing between RNY and VSG -- that with RNY they are basically accepting a lifetime of lack of vitamin absorption for 18-24 months of temporary caloric malabsorption.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

catalina07
on 7/24/14 8:55 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

that is very informative. You explained it quite well. thank you

NHwahine
on 7/19/14 5:14 am
RNY on 06/30/14

Hi. I am only 3 weeks out but the therapist I went to for my psych eval had it 30 years ago in Israel. She looks fantastic and feels great!

43 years old. 5'8" tall  HW 320 (BMI 48.7) SW 268 (BMI 40.7) CW 198 (BMI 30.0)

catalina07
on 7/19/14 11:37 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

wow 30 years ago! Thats amazing. I wish I could pick her brain! Thanks so much for that info. How are you doing by the way at 3 weeks?

chris53212
on 7/19/14 7:35 am

I had RNY 3 years ago ........gained back ten and have to really work at it.  I have a girlfriend that is 10 years out that can't gain weight if she tried.  She lost 150 lbs and I lost 70.  Bottom line................I think it depends on your body chemistry and how hard you work to keep it off.  Just my two cents

catalina07
on 7/19/14 11:40 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

Thanks for the reply. I do plan to work hard at this. As for my chemistry i guess i have to just cross my fingers on that one. I feel like I would never get a third surgery so I really have to make this work!  3 years later, do you still eat really tiny portions? Are there still foods that you can not tolerate or does that eventually go away?

Jennifer K.
on 7/19/14 11:40 pm - Phoenix , AZ

I had my 8 year anniversary last month. Currently I am 1 week 3 days post BA/BL, arm lift and 2.5 years out from an extended TT/lipo :-)

I have maintained my loss... I go up and down a few pounds (especially around the holidays!!!) but I keep an eye on the scale and dont let my weight get out of my control. I take all my vitamins daily, get my blood work annually and stay on top of things... I feel I eat "normal" people NEVER question the amount I eat... most people do not even know I am a FFC (former fat chick) or had surgery. I have watched what other "normal" people eat and I feel that is how I eat now. I never had problems tolerating foods, I can pretty much eat what I want within reason... I still experience dumping if I eat too much fat or sugar, while not pleasant its a nice reminder that my tool is still working for me.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 289 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 293 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?