Fake brown sugar

molly3613
on 7/19/14 10:43 pm - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

I have a marinade that calls for brown sugar.  I know there is a "fake" brown sugar out there.  Is it Splenda Brown Sugar Blend?  Or what is it.  The recipe calls for just a small amount but I don't want to buy or use real brown sugar.  I will need this info for the holidays too.  So what do I get?

Louise1974
on 7/19/14 10:55 pm

I have never used the splenda blend but I think it has real sugar in it.  When I need to sub brown sugar I use monk fruit.  It has zero calories and has a taste that is very similar to brown sugar.  You can usually find it next to the splenda and other artificial sweeteners.  I love it!  I use it to sweeten plain yogurt and hot tea as wel.  You can also use splenda with a small amount of black strap molasses.  Black strap molasses will give it that brown sugar taste, it has a lower glycemic index and has all sorts of good stuff in it.  you don't need very much, it is really strong. 

White Dove
on 7/20/14 1:32 am - Warren, OH

The best substitutes are from a company called WheyLow.  They are all natural, have no digestive side effects, and I have cooked and baked with them and nobody has ever remarked that I used artificial sweeteners.  What I have found is that they need to be used up fairly quickly.  They get very hard if stored for a long time.  I keep their granulated sugar, brown sugar, and powdered sugar on hard for cooking, baking, and just any sugar substitute I need.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MyBariatricLife
on 7/20/14 9:06 am

I use coconut sugar. It is like brown sugar but Coconut sugar reportedly carries a lower glycemic load than other refined sugar. However, the devil is in the details. Glycemic load and contents vary by brand due to different processing techniques. So I advise smart sourcing of your coconut sugar, and be sure to buy certified organic.

i do not use chemical sweeteners. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 264 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 276 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 319 views