Random Questions

iHeartTeas
on 7/28/14 11:59 am

Ok so I'm about to get my date in the next couple of days.  Now that I'm faced with the reality that this is actually going to happen I have some questions.  I am sure they have been answered before but I'd really like to ask again.

1. Coffee? Yes or No and if no how long will I need to wait before I get to have it again?  I just bought a Nespresso (amazing btw) and though I don't mind a break,  I can't say goodbye forever.

2. Tea? My even bigger addiction?  Same questions as above.

3. Any suggestions on where to get good vitamins at a decent price?

4. If you are vegetarian like myself, what did you do to make sure you got your protein?

5. How long after surgery were you allowed to start eating some solid foods?

That is all I have for now. As you can tell I am little anxious.

Thank you!

poet_kelly
on 7/28/14 12:27 pm - OH

1.  Different surgeons have different recommendations.  Talk to yours.

2.  Same as above.

3.  I buy mostly generic vitamins.  I get a multi that is equivalent to Centrum at Family Dollar for just $4 a bottle.  I get generic calcium citrate from Kroger when it's on sale buy one, get one free.  It really depends on what vitamins you're looking for.

4.  I'm a vegetarian.  I had to rely on protein shakes for quite a while, although I am able to get enough protein now without them (I often still use shakes, though, just 'cause I like them).

5.  My surgeon's plan was full liquids for one week, the pureed foods for one week, then soft foods for four weeks.  Then a regular diet.  Your surgeon's plan may be different, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NYMom222
on 7/28/14 1:05 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Every Surgeon is different, but I said to my girlfriend the other day mine must be a coffee drinker. I had my surgery 5 days ago... had tea in hospital and first day home was allowed to have coffee and tea with milk and not decaf. Went for follow up today and yogurt, farina and creamed soups was added. One of my life savers the past few days has been SF popsicles. Just refreshing cold and not liquid.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 7/28/14 1:18 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I was served regular coffee in the hospital post-op.  I drink sf coffee every day and sf ice tea every single day and sometimes both at the same time.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Friends K.
on 7/28/14 11:19 pm
RNY on 01/14/14

I waited at least 6 weeks for coffee but I had herbal teas regularly right after surgery, but ask your doc and your program

I was on liquids for almost 3 weeks post op but after that it was as tolerated.

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

SkinnyScientist
on 7/29/14 2:11 am

HI!  I am a coffee/expresso/nespresso pixie addict.

IN the beginning (like before surgery) my surgeon had me get off the caffeine because I wasnt going to be able to have it for awhile.

I am glad he did this because caffeine withdrawl wsa a pain and it took me 3 months to get off.

Today, when I have caffeine, I have a tendency to act "aggressive and angry"  I am drinking some coffee and expresso daily (In the morning).

Decaffeinated tea was fine. However the stuff that generally went in it (ie. the cream and sugar) was not in the first few weeks after surgery.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

SkinnyScientist
on 7/29/14 2:12 am

PS. I can take that nespesso off your hands ...

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

iHeartTeas
on 7/29/14 5:08 am

LOL :) I bet.  It is the Nespresso Pixie Combo. I LOVE it!

NinaCanDOit
on 7/29/14 4:13 am
RNY on 06/27/14

Apparently there is a lot of variation in Dr required plans.  My plan has me on no caffeine for 1 year after surgery, but she is totally fine with decaf coffee/tea a few times a day as tolerated. 

I had a big giveaway with my friends of all of my precious teas before surgery and have only purchased decaf since.  I had a nightly decaf green jasmine with soy to relax starting about a week after surgery and that was wonderful. Now at 4 weeks I have a decaf coffee or tea about 2/3 times a day with a little stevia and I'm feeling pretty normal again.

As for vitamins I just went with Amazon. 

HW - 392 * CW - 200 * * * Lost - 192, To Goal - 40

"almost there,...keep going,...stay focused,...eyes on the prize" - the guy at my gym

iHeartTeas
on 7/29/14 5:12 am, edited 7/29/14 5:24 am

Great idea about the give away but I just don't know if I could it.  On top of that I run my own online tea shop so that means my only option is only discipline.  As for the Amazon idea I LOVE it.  I am a huge Amazon user so that makes very good sense to me.

Thanks 😄

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 165 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 262 views