Advice for Newbie...2 days post-op

lburrell
on 7/30/14 3:21 pm

Hi all! My name is Lori and I am new to the forum. I had RNY on Monday (7/28). I am blessed that I have not had any nausea and pain has been tolerable as long as I'm sitting or lying down. My upper incisions are extremely painful when I stand. I think it is because they are on a roll and when I stand the belly hangs down and is pulling in those incisions. Did anyone have a similar experience? I want to get up and walk around more but it hurts so much when I'm standing. How long before the initial surgery pain starts to ease? 

Jenn S.
on 7/30/14 3:40 pm - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

I had an incision that pulled on the right side. It was uncomfortable. As it healed it got better and I got my staples out at my 1 week follow up. After that things felt better pretty quickly for me.  Hang in there!

Karen518
on 7/30/14 10:40 pm

Did your surgeon provide you with an elastic wrap for your abdomen?  Mine was a great comfort for the first week or so.

lburrell
on 7/31/14 12:21 am

No I do not have an elastic wrap. Sounds fabulous though. I think having something around my midsection that gently keeps my belly stable would help. Kind of like a belly bra. I have an old stretched out pair of spanx...I wonder how that would work if I cut the legs out? 

dawnakers
on 7/31/14 3:51 am

Hi Lori,

I had RNY July 21 and out of everything.... my incisions are the worst.  I too feel them pulling when I stand (damn gravity).  It has gotten better.... day by day.  

Just a thought....I sneezed yesterday and thought I was going to die.  I had intense pain and saw stars.  I still feel like I pulled muscles in my belly.  

Take it one day at a time - it gets better!

Good luck!

lburrell
on 7/31/14 5:30 am

Thanks Dawn! Am going to take it slow and easy. I didn't expect the incisions to hurt so much. I had my gall bladder removed last month and incisions didn't bother me at all. Guess I should be happy that I am not having probs with nausea and vomiting. Would imagine throwing up would b as painful as a sneeze. Ouch.

poet_kelly
on 7/31/14 5:45 am - OH

Hold a small pillow against your incision when you get up and walk.  Or ask your surgeon about an abdominal binder - it's sort of like a big ace bandage that would support the area.  Also make sure you take your pain meds as needed.

I think my pain was a lot better after the first week but it probably took two weeks to be totally pain-free for me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 279 views