Kaiser Options Program - Worth The Wait? What Can I do?

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/5/14 5:03 am

For posterity:

Actually it was more so a statement. Easy to pick that up by the uppercase wording. And thanks I guess, for just wanting to post and not really reading. I thought this was a site for support and shared experiences. Sheesh. :( And It says my question right at the top. IDK but I am pretty sure you were just trying to make me feel bad. 

You started off getting pretty snippy pretty quickly. Just FYI, lots of us waited for surgery. I don't think any of us have forgotten the anxiety of waiting. You will get more support if you don't just try to rip people's heads off and **** down their necks right off the bat, capisce?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Pegasus_AM
on 8/5/14 2:21 am

I know that where I am from they won't even schedule any appointments until you are 6 months smoke free

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/14 7:31 am
RNY on 12/16/13

My best advice...try to be patient with the process and think about the things that you can start to change now, and start changing them. I started my WLS journey in March 2013 - and my surgery was eight months later, for a variety of reasons, including an interruption to have a radical hysterectomy in October because of uterine cancer.  You will have to decide what changes you want to start making - I stopped drinking diet soda in March 2013 and eliminated all caffeine two weeks later; I started journaling; I started walking (I walk 3-5 miles, 5 times a week now); I started increasing protein, adding greek yogurt and protein shakes; I eliminated many foods and added more fruits and veggies.  I wanted to prove to myself, before I had the surgery, that I could make the many behavioral changes necessary to sustain my efforts throughout my lifetime.  It felt great to get started and every day got me one day closer to my surgery.  Good luck!

ssegura72
on 8/7/14 6:58 am

I'm with Kasier. I know when I started this journey I wanted WLS ASAP. But with Kaiser there are many steps to do even before you see a surgeon. I'm in the Options program and the classes are very helpful. Classes  cover everything from exercise, nut, emotions, etc. you also have to weight in every week. It kind of feels like Weigh****chers. But since you have to lose 10% of you weight before surgery it keeps you motivated to lose lbs. Just  a FYI a classmate of mine is a smoker and she has been tested 2 times for nictione. They really are firm about not nictione in system. I was a smoker for 23 years. So I know how hard it is to stop.  Gook Luck on your journey    

frienztodaend
on 8/23/14 5:06 pm

I am currently in Options at Kaiser Corona. Im in week 7. At the start of class they told us the process from class one to surgery was running on average 4-5 months. Also no smoking for 6 months. This may only be at this Kaiser as they are all different. They encourage the smoking cessation classes. We all want to jump start our classes and surgery, but Kaiser makes all wait and go thru each hoop, all for our own benefit!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 229 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 269 views