One Week Til Surgery!

samhain
on 8/8/14 3:33 am

And one week into my pre-op diet and I'm down 9 pounds! Yippie! I have this weekend and next weekend to clean/prep my house before my 8/18 surgery, I want things to be easy to reach and clean enough to where I'm not sitting in the chair going crazy because something needs to be dusted.

I knew this would be a roller coaster of physical and emotional changes, but holy cow. I've gone from delirious excitement while going through my "skinny" clothes and imagining being back in them, to throwing things and hysterically crying at 1 AM because I can't go to McDonald's and have a Big Mac and coke. My husband has been super supportive, but has later said some points of the past week have seemed like scenes from "The Exorcist" LOL

I'm still extremely nervous and anxious about this procedure. I suffer from a somewhat debilitating anxiety disorder and have had it well-managed for about a year now. I'm having anxiety about HAVING ANXIETY, and worried about the usual assortment of things that have crossed all of our minds along this journey. How much will it hurt, will I have complications, will I be able to keep anything down, when will I feel normal, is my hair going to fall out, am I going to be depressed ...etc?

One thing is for damn sure, I'm working hard to get rid of this unhealthy weight and this icky diabetes! I'm grateful to have this forum and all of your success stories and WLS journeys to help me with this life altering decision.

Quick question too - does anyone else have anxiety/panic disorders and how in the heck did you manage them before surgery, in the hospital and after? I am on medication (a beta blocker and klonopin) and see a therapist regularly. Thanks, all!

dccyr
on 8/8/14 9:23 am

Ok, yes, some of your hair will fall out.  It will not all fall out.  

Ok, yes, you will have some pain.  But it is manageable. You will be given pain medications to manage the pain.

Yes, you will be able to keep food down.  And yes you may throw up a few times till you get the hang of eating the right way.  I did.  I ate too fast a few times and know I've got the hang of it.

I don't have an anxiety disorder.  I just made sure that I had asked all the questions I thought I needed to and then just thought of how different I would look in a few short months.  And it has happened.  I bought my first pair of size 10 jeans, so I bought two pair.  I was in a size 20-22 in February.  I no longer have any co-morbidities and just celebrated my 6 month surgiversary.  I celebrated with a new short hairstyle which I love and so does everyone else.  Should help with the hair falling out.  It is slowing down.

You can do this.  Just know that you have a competent medical team behind you, ask any question you need to  no matter how silly you may think it is.  Ask for pain pills if you are in pain.  Manage your own health.  That's what this journey is all about, taking back our lives.

It will all be worth it.  I actually look forward to getting on the scale.  I can run up and down stairs now.  I can wear high heels again.  I look and feel great.  Would not trade the past 6 months for anything.  It is hard work especially the psychological side of this.  It takes work but know that it is worth it.

You got this!

Brimiller808
on 8/8/14 12:59 pm - Austin, TX
RNY on 10/29/13

I took Klonopin and anti depression meds before and days after surgery. Didn't really need the Klonopin the first few days after surgery because Vicodin kept any anxiety and pain away. After those few days, I started taking my regular "head" meds again and still do. As long as they aren't extended release, my doc was fine with resuming. Now I'm a little over nine months out and just started an ER med that seems to be working fine but doesn't for some. 

By the way, we started at about the same weight going into surgery and I'm hovering (give or take a few ounces) at 147!  140 is my goal but as long as i dont go over 150, im happy where I'm at now.  You got this, Girl!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 146 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views