DO HERNIAS COME BACK ???

hop2bthin
on 8/8/14 2:43 pm - Florence, AL

I had surgery this year to have a hernia repaired, they used the mesh kind of stuff do fix it. My question is can it still come back ? It was beside my belly button, yesterday in that same area it started hurting pretty bad. Today its barely hurting,but yesterday even bending over hurt. I have never had one until I got this one so I know nothing about it. If anyone can give an answer please respond I would appreciate it. Thanks

hop2bthin

The Salty Hag
on 8/8/14 2:55 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I don't know if they can come back, but the hernia repair I had almost a year ago will still hurt from time to time, especially if I'm on the go more than usual. Like today, for instance; I'm in pain tonight because I walked ALL over-and I mean alllll over-downtown Austin and the UT campus today. (Hook 'em Horns!! ) 

My hubby had a hernia repair done 20 years ago, and his will still hurt once in a while too. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

xtablue
on 8/8/14 10:03 pm - Orlando, FL

I had my umbilical hernia repaired 4 years ago and my surgeon then told me it would definitely come back especially ay my weight (340lbs at that time) and it did, probably within the year. Every now and then I could feel what felt like flesh tearing inside and the bulge on the inside of my belly button got bigger. Nothing was trapped so there wasn't an urgent or emergent situation and the pain wasn't constant only when the hole was tearing. I just had it fixed again about a month ago with my RNY but my surgeon said he couldn't use mesh and it would probably come back but not to worry it would be taken care of in a couple of years "when you get your tummy tuck." Not really feeling like having another surgery now, we will see how I feel then. Good luck to you.

Height 5'4" HW 372 Consult W 351 SW 291 RNY 7/11/14

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the life that is waiting for us."

Ladytazz
on 8/9/14 12:02 am

I had an incisional hernia, from the long incision on my stomach from my open revision.  I had it repaired at about one year and about 7 months later it came back again when I picked up a large baby.

I had another repair a few years ago and so far it's holding fine but I was advised not to lift anything heavy as there is always a chance of recurrence.

FWIW, I did not have mesh put in.  Don't know if that makes a difference.

Also, I don't know if this applies to you or not but my surgeon told me he never does hernia repairs on smokers because in his experience 100% will get another hernia.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/9/14 3:49 am - OH

It is very unlikely (but not impossible) for it to come back when mesh is used for the repair.  That is precisely why they use the mesh if the hernia is large or if the are other reasons that the surgeon fears it might recur.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

hop2bthin
on 8/9/14 4:02 pm - Florence, AL

Thanks so much for your answers & I don't smoke so that's in my favor also... 

hop2bthin

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 252 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 320 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 273 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 440 views