Preparing for RNY

Roz4103
on 9/1/14 1:53 am
RNY on 11/12/14 with

Hi everyone:

I just started the initial process to have RNY and do not have my surgery date as of yet.  I am going through BluePoint in Fairfax, Va.  Dr. Halmi is the surgeon who will be performing my RNY.  I am a little nervous and personally do not know of anyone who has had this type of surgery before.  Most of my friends have had the VSG..... because of other medical issues Dr. Halmi suggested the RNY even though my BMI is only 39.4 at this time.  

I guess it is almost like having a baby, everyone's labor experience is different..... I have had quite a few major surgeries in the past prior to medical technology being so new with the laproscopic types of surgery and I realize that even though this type is more invasive it has come a long way since it was first introduced to obesity patients.  I am nervous about the dumping and constant diarrhea that some RNY'ers have experience from reading various inputs on this forum.

Does anyone feel that they should have had the VSG opposed to the RNY? 

Any suggestions or input from those who have had the RNY would be greatly appreciated....

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/1/14 6:36 am - OH

Only about 30% of RNYers dump, so odds are that you won't be one of them.  Also, 0% dump if they maintain a low-sugar or no-sugar diet... So if you avoid sweets and carbs, you won't have any problem with that.

I'm not sure what your impression is of how many people have issues with "constant diarrhea" or how long they have the issues for, but MOST people who have RNY only have diarrhea during the first week or so post-op (sometimes a but longer, depending on how long their surgeon's plan calls for liquids only).  I have never heard it referred to as "constant", though, even for people on liquids for several weeks.  

It is actually far more common for RNYers to have trouble with constipation since we often don't get enough fiber in our diet.

Having the sleeve wasn't an option for me 7 years ago, but if I were making the choice today (and insurance covered both), I would opt for VSG. To me, having somewhat faster weight loss for about 18 months isn't worth the trade off of a lifetime of lack of vitamin absorption. I didn't/don't have any medical issues that would have made one surgery preferable to the other, though, and sometimes those considerations override all others.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Roz4103
on 9/2/14 1:07 am
RNY on 11/12/14 with

Thank you Lora for you input it was definitely helpful.

Buckets
on 9/1/14 9:09 am - Southwest, IA
RNY on 04/16/14

No, I believe my surgeon and I made the correct decision for me to have RNY.  I had terrible acid reflux and that is why I chose RNY.   I have no acid reflux now, but it could have continued with a sleeve.  

VBG in 1987:  HW 267      Recent HW:  242  SW 196 Revision to RNY on April 16, 2014.

Roz4103
on 9/2/14 10:59 pm
RNY on 11/12/14 with

Hi .... You are correct that is exactly why my surgeon stated that he would not suggest the Sleeve (VSG) for me because of the hiatal hernia and major acid reflux..he stated if I had the VSG; I would be back within a month or so to have additional surgery.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/1/14 9:51 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You don't say what the medical issues are that steered you to RNY, but there are certainly reasons that would make it the first choice. That's really between you and your doc.

As Lora said, constipation is the bigger issue with RNY (and often VSG). I have never actually heard of long term diarrhea from RNY. DSers do have bathroom issues, so maybe that's what you were reading.

I couldn't be happier with RNY.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Roz4103
on 9/2/14 11:01 pm
RNY on 11/12/14 with

I have major/severe asthma, COPD and Sarcoid.  I have been on disability for 2 years now and not able to exercise due to my lungs.  So my pulmonary doctor suggested the weight loss surgery would help my lungs.

kayleystar
on 9/1/14 10:43 am
RNY on 01/06/15

If you feel good about your choice in surgeon (and you should!), I would listen to his advice. I went into my consultation originally asking about the VSG, however my surgeon told me my best option is RNY. However, I'm a much higher BMI than you are, at 65. Do research, and ask a TON of questions. Ultimately, the surgery you choose is up to you, however I would take the surgeon's advice to heart. :)

Highest Weight: 412 | Day of Surgery: 385 | Current: 341
Surgery Date: 1/6/2015 

Roz4103
on 9/2/14 11:03 pm
RNY on 11/12/14 with

Thank you,

I am definitely asking a lot of questions that is one of the reason(s) I signup for this forum to read and find out different people's experiences to give me some sort of ideas of what I may or may not experience and how to deal with it.

Dcgirl
on 9/1/14 11:36 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I haven't regretted my RNY for a minute. 8.5 months post op and down 175+ lbs :) No issues, no diarrhea, no idea if I dump (haven't had sugar in any quantity) and I'm definitely benefitting from the malabsorption of calories :) I had a high BMI and no co-morbidities but my doctor felt I would be more successful with RNY instead of VSG. I'm willing to take vitamins for the rest of my life because I'm a million times healthier post RNY than pre RNY :) Wishing you the best as you make this awesome, life-changing decision :)

Most Active
Recent Topics