What to expect?!

MandyLeigh
on 9/4/14 12:36 pm

Just found out that I got my psychological clearance! I am SO relieved and excited! Also got a letter in the mail from the therapist suggesting that I find ways to deal with my anxiety before and after surgery. The best way for me to deal with anxiety is exercise and that's exactly why I want this surgery - so I can get back to my favorite anxiety reducer! I also got a call from OSU scheduling my first appointment with the bariatric department! I go on September 18th for my medical and nutritional evaluation! I am SO excited and nervous to see what they say!   I have no idea what to expect at this appointment or what they will tell me. Anyone who has been through this step, what happens during these appointments? The anticipation is killing me!

-Mandy Leigh :)

LittleMikey64
on 9/5/14 12:26 am
RNY on 08/06/14

For me it was simple stuff, a medical check and a nutritional education discussion.  Sometimes my nutritional education was in groups, sometimes one on one.  At Cleveland Clinic, we received some very good documentation on the dietary stages (liquid only, pureed foods, soft foods, etc.) and the required supplements.  Take time to ask what will happen and how it will work!

Some insurers (like mine) require periodic monitoring for six months prior to surger.  I have Aetna.

Good luck!

Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.  Saint Francis of Assisi

Jenn S.
on 9/5/14 12:38 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

My experience was a bit opposite yours. I had the medical eval first. That was to determine if I was even a good candidate for surgery and what type of surgery was best. He also determined what co-morbidities I had and went through my health history. It was a medical exam and the surgeon asked questions to gain an insight as to how committed I would be to changing my life after surgery to be the most successful.  At the end he said I was a good candidate for either VSG or RNY.  Then I scheduled the psych eval and the appt with the nutritionist. All three appts were required by my insurance for approval.  The nutritionist basically went through what my diet would be like after surgery, the types of supplements I'd need to take for life, etc. It was mostly informational. I left there with tons of information and samples of protein shakes. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 370 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 201 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 325 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?