Coffee?

Angela_Italiana
on 9/23/14 3:28 am - CA
RNY on 03/04/13

Hey all! I have a question about coffee.. I'm almost 19 months post op, and I'm wondering if it's ok to drink coffee. 

I have never been a coffee drinker, and have not had any since surgery, so this is one area I'm completely unfamiliar with.

ill be starting a new job in a few weeks that promises to have some very early start times, and I'm sure I'll eventually think to turn to coffee for the occasional bit of morning help. Just want to make sure it's an ok choice.

Thanks! 

JAMStribe
on 9/23/14 3:32 am

I actually just read an article that an apple will wake you up better than coffee will,

I am going to actually try it and see.  

You ve been off caffeine for so long, wondering how it ll affect you now. Plus the fear of ulcers. 

I drink coffee once or twice a month if that.  I love it and I miss it but the fear keeps me in check 

Dodgergirl27
on 9/23/14 3:39 am
RNY on 01/22/14

Hi Angela,

I am coffee obsessed, so giving it up post op was a huge deal for me.  My surgeon was very specific on the timeline.  No coffee for the 2 weeks before surgery or the 6 months post!  It was brutal (although he did say decaf was ok).  Needless to say, I think you are safe at 19 months out (I've been drinking coffee again for the last 2 months and have not had any issues, for what it's worth).  Good Luck at the new job!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/23/14 3:55 am - OH

Coffee was one of the few things my pouch didn't like for the first couple of years (it burned), but I have never been a big coffee drinker so it wasn't a big deal.  I noticed after about the second year that when I tried some when I REALLY needed the caffeine, it didn't bother me anymore, so it was a temporary thing.

FWIW, my surgeon asked people to limit coffee because of the caffeine and acid, just as she asks people to limit diet soda, but she permitted both after 6 months.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/23/14 5:00 am

I am a daily coffee drinker and don't have an issue. My surgeon didn't have an restriction on coffee but I eased back into it after surgery and only when I could get all my water. You can try a bit and see how it goes.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

laura343
on 9/23/14 5:38 am

I love coffee..

At about 2 months post op i was back to 1-2 cups a day.  I don't seem to have any issues with coffee.  

have a small cup and take it from there.

bgraeve
on 9/23/14 5:50 am

I've been drinking coffee at 4 weeks post-op.    Hasn't bothered me yet, though my nutritionist won't be too happy with me.  She said to hold off for 2 months. :)

NYMom222
on 9/23/14 5:57 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Every surgeon is different, but I was allowed coffee from Day 1 post-op. Never had a problem with it, but don't drink it daily.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

KatBee
on 9/23/14 10:50 am

I'm a tea drinker & while I listened to the Dr on everything else giving up caffeine wasn't an option. I had it a few days after surgery & I'm 16 months post op

Sherrie P.
on 9/23/14 10:58 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I think they served it to me in the hospital - LOL

I am 19 months out and have drank it for 19 months ;-)

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 279 views