low hemoglobin

dirks34
on 10/17/14 12:30 am
RNY on 10/31/12

Hi Everyone,

My 2 year checkup revealed my hemoglobin in low. I had a blood test to check my iron levels and now my Doctor wants to discuss a supplement when I go in for my appt next week. Has anyone had this problem and what was the solution and outcome.

I have been trying to eat high iron foods like pumpkin seeds, spinach, and liver as well as other things.

All my other blood levels were great and I'm trying to make sure I'm on top of everything so I don't have any other complications.

I am also premenapausal so that could be a factor too.

Thanks

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; a optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"- Winston Churchill

Karen M.
on 10/17/14 2:01 am - Mississauga, Canada

Iron deficiencies are common. My hemoglobin was so low a couple of times that I had to have blood transfusions in the ER. I have supplemented iron (and continue to do so daily) always but it seems not to be enough. I have gone through 2 rounds of iron infusions (one 12 week round 2 years ago, one 6 week round this year) which fixes the problem up nicely - keeping it up is the hard part.

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

poet_kelly
on 10/17/14 3:55 am - OH

Haven't you been taking an iron supplement since your surgery? The ASMBS recommends iron for all RNY folks.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dirks34
on 10/17/14 4:51 am
RNY on 10/31/12

Thanks for your replies. There is iron in my prenatal pill but I was never told to....just calcium citrate, a prenatal vitamin. I also take Vit C, D and a B12. I'm in Canada so maybe the  supplements are different.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; a optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"- Winston Churchill

Karen M.
on 10/17/14 7:02 am, edited 10/17/14 7:03 am - Mississauga, Canada

I'm in Canada too :)

You are getting some iron in the prenatal vitamin, that's true. Obviously not enough since your hemoglobin (and correspondingly your iron) is low. Your doctor will advise you as to additional iron supplementation.

Hope you're able to get this taken care of!

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

ralley38
on 10/17/14 7:08 pm

Do you know if your iron and ferritin are normal?  I've had iron infusions, my iron and ferritin were low and hgb a little low. Ive also needed blood transfusion from low hgb. If hgb is low its usually from bleeding somewhere, could be GI blee . If malabsorption of iron, your hgb wouldn't necessarily be low. Increasing iron supplements will increase your hgb but usually means your Loosing blood somewher . Do you know how low it is?  Usually transfuse if its under 8. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 248 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 267 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views