Tai Chi

Bubbles314
on 10/28/14 7:29 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I have a beginners Tai Chi dvd and I like to do it.  My question is, is it enough exercise to do this dvd (about 45 minutes) a day or should I add other exercise to it for cardio? I really liked this happy face weight lifter lol.  The Tai Chi just makes me feel calm and better balanced when I'm done.

karenp8
on 10/28/14 8:06 am - Brighton, IL

I checked on my fitness pal and at your weight you would burn about 200 calories in 45 minutes of tai chi. I would still walk or do something more active for cardio to really get your heart rate up and help burn more calories. I do cardio daily and strength training with a DVD at least three times a week. Just my two cents worth!

Bubbles314
on 10/28/14 8:40 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Thank Karen.  I have read your info and the exercise you do is impressive.  I like so many others want to do what is best to lose the weight.  I have an old car so I don't always have a ride to go to the gym.  I am going to make an effort to go to the YMCA, I can go there free through medicare silversneekers.  I am also going to go down to the basement and set up my pilates machine now that I am not to heavy for it.  I can do the bike and pilates if the weather gets bad here,"Yes Michigan".  Just looking for exercise to do at home if I have to.  The weather will be snowy soon enough.

Bubbles314
on 10/28/14 8:42 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

By the way do you know if OH has a spell check.  It drives me crazy when I think I am spelling something wrong.

karenp8
on 10/28/14 9:00 am - Brighton, IL

Don't know about a spell check feature. I too do all my exercise at home as I have a son in college and not able to swing the money for a gym membership. I also like that I can workout when I want and not at a set time. I am really amazed at how much I love to exercise now,as I never thought that would happen. I've had two foot surgeries since my RNY and went crazy when I could not exercise for 6 weeks each time. I really missed it!!

NYMom222
on 10/28/14 12:30 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

There are plenty of exercise videos on You tube that are free....  to supplement if you want. What is the Tai Chi Beginners video...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/14 12:48 pm

Yes, there are many exercise videos on You Tube.  I have subscribed to Be Fit's channel.  They have a lot of free videos.

Bubbles314
on 10/29/14 12:43 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Its called Beginning Tai Chi with Scott Cole, I found the dvd at Walmart for like $10.  I really liked doing it, I felt it helped with my balance and fluid movement.  I believe it is a form of martial arts movements but taught as fluid and graceful.  I took the class at the Cancer Center and found I liked it.  I couldn't do the yoga.  At my highest weight I felt like I could fall over easier than I ever felt like before.  I use to tell people that I always feel like I could pop, I felt so uncomfortable weighing so much.  Doing things was a chore.  Now losing the weight I have I feel more energy.  Like I should be doing something constructive to wear some of it off.  So I gotta do it, I want to keep moving, I have already sat for so long (years).

Thanks for the tip about You Tube, you know I don't think like that.  My first thought is not to find something on the computer, I am trying to remember that though.  My niece and her husband always go on line first.  I am learning the advantages though.  What kind of exercise do you do?

selhard
on 10/28/14 9:20 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Leave it to this former SSMO to think Tai Chi is something you eat or drink!  I also thought, "if you feel calm and better-balanced when done, why mess it up with cardio!"  

Bubbles314
on 10/29/14 12:52 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I like the way you think.  I could also do cardio first then the Tai Chi later.  I may have to see how it works out I feel like I have a lot of energy and I need to take advantage of it, I did not in the past.  I keep reminding myself I am moving more so just go with it.  I do fight change, I am use to being a couch potato for hours so the change could be good for me.

Your posts often make me laugh, that is a good thing I need to laugh more and you appear very happy and sensible.

Most Active
Recent Topics