Magnesuim Citrate or Oxide?

Katie_Kat
on 11/13/14 10:15 pm
RNY on 06/10/13

For constipations issues, which do you take if any?            I read that either one will or could help,

some sites said 250 mgs up to 4 times a day until you know how it affects your constipation. other sites say 500 mgs  x 2 a day?

I already use Miralax and a stool softener, something must be different in my diet and I am trying to figure that out as constipation has not been an issue until the past 2 weeks.....I know I have been slacking with my veggies.....could that possibly be the culprit? 

Thank You

Katherine     

RNY 6/2013

S/W  256

C/W  126

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/14/14 3:45 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I have found little to no relief from miralax -- although I still take it sometimes.  I already take a magnesium chelate (400 mg) a day to stave off leg cramps -- I can attest that hasn't helped constipation, either.  Frankly, sugar free Milk of Magnesia works a bit too well.  I think that is magnesium hydroxide?  I have heard that magnesium oxide is great for constipation -- but I haven't tried it yet. Please post to me if you try it and find good success with it.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Katie_Kat
on 11/14/14 7:39 am
RNY on 06/10/13

Like my post said , I never had a problem , Miralax and a stool softner has always worked, I also add suger free Fiber Powder, it has no taste and I add it to water, or juice, but I rarely need to use that.....So obviously something in my diet I believe has changed and I am going to make sure I get my veggies in again, that is the only thing that has changed....I am going to add the fiber powder daily and get the veggies back daily, and try some Magnesium.....I probably should give it a week  before I know for sure, actually maybe I should get those the veggies back daily as before , and if that doesn`t work add the fiber , and so on??   before I add all 3 and have the opposite effect...

Katherine     

RNY 6/2013

S/W  256

C/W  126

HLen
on 11/14/14 8:19 am
RNY on 07/11/14

Before surgery, I took Magnesium Citrate to help prevent migraines.. It caused very loose stools and cramps so I stopped.  Now, after surgery... I take Miralax in the am and pm when I have an issue and colace in am and pm also.  

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Katie_Kat
on 11/15/14 1:21 am
RNY on 06/10/13

Oh Miralax twice a day?  I might try that , Thanks for replying.    :)

Katherine     

RNY 6/2013

S/W  256

C/W  126

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 11/14/14 11:34 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

My constipation was so bad I had to be prescribed Linzess by my PCP with the approval of my surgeon.  I also take four 500 mg magnesium oxide per day.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Katie_Kat
on 11/15/14 1:20 am
RNY on 06/10/13

WOW, sorry to hear that, ...I hope things are much better for you now...

Katherine     

RNY 6/2013

S/W  256

C/W  126