6 weeks post-op and I am hungry!

Han Shot First
on 11/24/14 10:33 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

At 6 weeks, my plan changed for me to have 3/4-1 cup of food at each meal.  I know you have to follow your office's recommendations, but that sounds like you're not getting enough food.  Since you haven't increased to 3 oz of protein at each meal, try it.  It may not seem like much, but 3 oz more a day is 21 more grams of protein, which will only help.  

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Dcgirl
on 11/24/14 10:49 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Plans vary greatly!  My plan calls for 3 meals and no snacks but there is NO way I can live like that.  In following the menu post everyday on this site, I get great ideas and insight into what others are eating.  I now eat 3 meals and 2 snacks per day (almost one year out).  When I was six weeks post op, I recall my menu was something like this:

B: Protein shake (to get 20 g of protein in to start the day)

S1: A Light and Fit Greek yogurt (this has only 80 calories and is low carb and low sugar and I find them delicious)

L: 2-3 oz of either rotisserie chicken or tuna with light mayo or 3/4 of a chicken sausage or some other protein.  I did not introduce "sides" like veggies and carbs until much, much later.  I concentrated on protein only

S2: Something with protein like cheese or cottage cheese or a little ground turkey with seasoning

D: Protein again 2-3 oz.  

I weighed out my protein diligently and even if my plan allowed for things like mashed potatoes or tortillas, I opted not to introduce them until much later.  Now, my diet is much more balanced (more carbs/veggies/etc.) and my weight loss has slowed.  When I eat as I should (dense protein) I get full and can't eat all the other ****  

As I said, all plans vary.  I was successful with my plan, and others may disagree and say that you should absolutely get 2 oz of veggies in per meal.  But that early out, with such restriction, I focused on protein only.  Just my two cents :)

The denser the protein, the better!

aiderbellou
on 11/24/14 11:57 pm

I'm also feeling hunger and it's not head hunger.  I'm 5 weeks out and have just started adding soft meats.  Salmon didn't work well for me last night.  Afraid to try anything else.  I do drink 2 protein drinks a day.  I also have only lost 12 pounds which is discouraging.  I'm supposed to only be eating 1/4 C food but I eat 1/3 usually.  

aiderbellou
on 11/24/14 11:58 pm

I'm also feeling hunger and it's not head hunger.  I'm 5 weeks out and have just started adding soft meats.  Salmon didn't work well for me last night.  Afraid to try anything else.  I do drink 2 protein drinks a day.  I also have only lost 12 pounds which is discouraging.  I'm supposed to only be eating 1/4 C food but I eat 1/3 usually.  

Dcgirl
on 11/25/14 12:12 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Don't be afraid to bring in new foods - I can now tolerate everything.  Just try things slowly, chew slowly, and wait and see how it affects you.  Try things for the first time at home in case you get the foamies.

Also, just my two cents - I bought a digital scale on amazon.com and I weigh my food by weight instead of volume.  Some things (like grilled chicken strips) don't fit well into a measuring cup.  By using a digital kitchen scale, I can tell for sure that I have 2 or 3 ounces of chicken.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/25/14 8:22 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I just want to second this wonderful advice.  WEIGH your dense protein rather than measuring by volume.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

hollykim
on 11/25/14 1:26 am, edited 11/25/14 7:23 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 24, 2014 at 5:54 PM Pacific Time, Susanb2117 wrote:

I am a little scared.  The last 3 days or so I have been hungry between meals.  Not head hunger, like I had about weeks 2, this is true hunger.  I don't understand it because most people say they don't really get hungry.  I weigh my food - 2 oz of lean protein and 2 oz of veggies.  That is 3x a day. I also have a protein drink as a supplement for one snack.  I can't imagine going on like this for the next year or two.  Sometimes I have to get up before my alarm goes off because I wake up so hungry also. 

how much. Liquid are you getting a day? 64oz or more? Dehydration can mimic hunger. Your body may be begging for liquid,not food. 

Susanb2117
on 11/25/14 5:13 am

Good point.  I try really hard to get 64 oz, but some days I only get 56 oz and even 48 oz once and while.  Maybe that is it.  I will work on that too and see how it goes.

Nola68
on 11/25/14 1:27 am

I was told by my pci who had the sleeve 2 years ago and the surgeon to always eat protein first, then if I had any room I could eat vegies &/or fruits.  I am 4 months out, I always weigh protein and measure vegies and fruits and eat protein first.  I don't always get to the vegies.

For breakfast I have a protein shake with mixed fruit & 1/2 banana in it.

67 Years old - HW 252 - SW 231 - CW 149 - GOAL 145  RNY 7/22/2014

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 67 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views