6 weeks post-op and I am hungry!

Susanb2117
on 11/24/14 9:54 am

I am a little scared.  The last 3 days or so I have been hungry between meals.  Not head hunger, like I had about weeks 2, this is true hunger.  I don't understand it because most people say they don't really get hungry.  I weigh my food - 2 oz of lean protein and 2 oz of veggies.  That is 3x a day. I also have a protein drink as a supplement for one snack.  I can't imagine going on like this for the next year or two.  Sometimes I have to get up before my alarm goes off because I wake up so hungry also. 

Poodlemac
on 11/24/14 10:01 am
RNY on 09/26/14

Sounds like you're not getting enough protein and maybe too few calories. Are you having 3meals and 2 snacks daily?  When does your plan allow you to increase your portions?  Maybe you should call your nutritionist. If you're not satiated and are hungry, it's a recipe for failure IMO. 

Susanb2117
on 11/24/14 10:09 am

They told me to get 65 grams of protein a day, which I always do.  It is 3 meals and 1 snack.  I haven't even looked at my calories, I was just told to track my protein grams.  Last week at my appointment she said I could up my protein to 3 oz but I have not done that yet.  I am just at a loss because of the hunger I am feeling.  I'm struggling with all the meat I am having to eat and I am not sure I can get 3 oz down.  I guess I may need to try. 

OMGbeTHERE
on 11/24/14 10:13 am

I can't seem to keep ANY meat down. Try a protein shake. And possibly add even more protein to it like the unflavor Unjury.

mschwab
on 11/24/14 12:25 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

If you're having problems with meat, you might try some other forms of protein, such as soy, fish, shellfish, dairy ( yogurt, cottage cheese) and beans. That should help with the "meat fatigue."

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

OMGbeTHERE
on 11/24/14 10:11 am

I am 7 weeks out. I am NEVER hungry. Eating is such an inconvenience now. I can't keep anything down but yogurt. For you I think you can up your protein. Try having another ounce of protein and only one ounce of veggies. Or keep your veggies but still add in the other ounce of protein.

poet_kelly
on 11/24/14 11:42 am - OH

Maybe you need to add more snacks.  I eat about six times a day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Poodlemac
on 11/24/14 12:19 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Exactly!

Poodlemac
on 11/24/14 12:27 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Have you tried puree-ing your meats?  I got the NutriBullet, added a tiny bit of broth and pureed chicken or fish. Was quite tasty and I didn't feel cheated. You'll also be abled to eat more meat protein if it's puréed. Be sure to flavor your foods as you like. It doesn't have to be bland and boring. My doc just has me counting protein, also, and measuring my foods. I think you could probably add a snack- like a protein shake. They seem to curb any untimely hunger I may have. 

selhard
on 11/24/14 10:00 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

My plan calls for eating something every 3 waking hours for life.  Luckily three hours goes by quickly especially if I distract myself with something that physically forces me away from the temptation to reach for food too early (examples:  going outside, taking a bath, or staring at cute shoes on the internet).  I was warned if I give in and eat something in between the 3-hour wait, it would put me at risk for something the NUT called "grazing"--a common issue related to regain.  Your body is going through a major adjustment period--who knows, the feeling of hunger may go away as quickly as it came on. 

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 229 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 319 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 272 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 440 views