Scared

Canadian_Girl
on 12/3/14 1:53 am

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting to the boards but as I go for my first intake appointment in a few weeks I am feeling a little nervous.

I am from Alberta and here weight loss surgery is covered by our health care and I am lucky enough to live in one of few cities where there is a bariatric speciality clinic so that I don't have to travel to one. Initially I was dead set on having the sleeve and didn't want to have the bypass because of it being more invasive and there being a greater chance of complications. I have talked to some of the people that have had their surgery through the clinic here and I guess if you have GERD the surgeon won't do the sleeve. Well I constantly have heartburn and indigestion and so I know that bypass will be the only option for me.

I am hoping that maybe my mind can be eased by some of your experiences. I am so tired of being morbidly obese and will do the surgery either way but I am so scared of dealing with dumping syndrome and the possibility of not being able to eat things as simple as pork or beef anymore (have read this a couple times).

Any words of encouragement would be great.

TIA

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Caroline K.
on 12/3/14 3:52 am

Hi there!

I'm from Ontario, and had my surgery done in April. Honestly, it's been pretty fabulous for the most part. The only issue I encountered was the need for my gallbladder to come out 2 weeks ago (apparently being female, severely obese, over a certain age, and then losing weight quickly) really ramped up the attacks until it just had to come out. I had GERD, so the sleeve wasn't an option. The RNY really helped with the GERD, so that I rarely need to take anything for it.

I haven't had *any* issues with food (so far), though my one accidental experience with too much sugar showed that I can dump. Eggs, chicken, pork, beef, all good. From personal experience, I know I can't follow a deprivation diet for any length of time without going completely off the rails, so I've learnt to mostly eat well, and have an infrequent not too healthy treat in a very small dose, or a relatively healthy treat a bit more often. That being said, I've been losing weight steadily if not quite as quickly as some.

I would definitely do it again. My knees and joints feel so much better from the reduced load! Feel free to message me if you want to talk or ask more questions.

One thing you might want to check into, is to see if they offer the Craving Change workshop in your area. I found it free locally, and it's really helpful in terms of getting you to understand your relationship with food as well as giving coping strategies.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

mdaggett
on 12/3/14 4:04 am
RNY on 11/19/14

I had the RNY about 2 weeks ago.  I am happy as a lamb.  I have had an easy road.  I just did everything that was asked of me and everything went fine.  I see a lot of people that get the sleeve and years later end of having to have revision done to the RNY.  I say go for the Gold and get the roux.  You'll do great.

Michele

http://stuffmybrainthinks.com/

H/W 297 S/W 244 C/W 234 G/W 148

karenp8
on 12/3/14 4:59 am - Brighton, IL

I think most of us are nervous about having surgery. I know I was but I had been overweight or obese my whole life and I was miserable. I had constant knee and back pain and my rheumatoid arthritis was worsened by the excess weight. I was diabetic and had uncontrolled high blood pressure,high cholesterol and high triglycerides. I was out of breath going down my basement steps. I had my surgery 27 months ago and now weigh 120 pounds and have a normal bmi for the first time ever. I went from a size 26 to a size one and now walk four miles a day without being out of breath. Blood sugars and all other blood work is normal and I am off all meds except for arthritis and one blood pressure med. Only 30 percent of people will dump. I do but have only had one episode. Actually I'm glad I do because sweets were a big issue for me. Since I know that pie or cake will make me miserable I easily stay away! I just am very careful about reading labels which is good all the way around anyway. I have never had any issue with any food or meat and have not gotten sick any since surgery. I am careful about measuring my food to make sure I don't overeat and follow my doctors guidelines. My decision to have surgery was the best decision I ever made. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Don't let fear keep you away from a chance to have a healthy active life!

Canadian_Girl
on 12/3/14 1:19 pm

Thank you everyone. I want this more than anything but can't seem to get the fears out of my head. I know in my heart that this will be worth it in the end but now I just need to get my mind to the same place.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

QoftheU
on 12/3/14 1:36 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

Breathe.    MOST people on this website have had great luck with the bypass.  I revised from a lapband (pure **** that thing), and it was THE best health decision I've ever made in my life.

So many wonderful 'side-effects': no more heartburn (!!), no more peeing my pants when I sneeze (I just realized that one tonight), off meds, knees hurt less, no dumping (only about a third of WLS patients dump btw), sleep better, have WAY more energy (WAY!!), I savor every bite now, and plus, I love clothes again!  :-)

I can eat anything.  I couldn't at the beginning but now have no problems at all.  I still don't eat the BAD things (every now and then I have a little bite of dessert, or a sip of a Coke, or some wine), but other than that, all is well.  I'm not sure who the people are who can't eat pork and beef, I've not really heard of that, but for me, nothing disagrees with me anymore.  My only issue at all has been chronic constipation, and that is a common issue.  However, after months of trial and error I finally discovered that if I take the right dosage of Magnesium Oxide (MUST be Oxide) 2x a day, every day, I'm as regular as a clock.

Hope that helps!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Han Shot First
on 12/3/14 9:26 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I was really worried about dumping also, but so far so good (knock on wood).  Even in my classes leading up to surgery it was presented that dumping was a certainty, but as I look back on it, I think it was just scare tactics to keep us on track.  It's worked for me, and I've been very careful about sugar.  

And I wouldn't worry about not being able to eat pork or beef.  Remember, whenever you read anything online, you're much more likely to read about people with negative experiences rather than those who are having positive experiences.  It makes it seem like everyone is dumping and can't eat steak, but most of us who have RNY can eat those dense meats.  Just don't try too early, and remember it could take a few months before you're actually ready to do that.  

I went into my surgery thinking of it this way:  Even though I love food, if I had to give up sweets and dense meats forever to lose a ton of weight and help my diabetes, I would do it.  I won't say the last two months have been easy, but it hasn't been as hard as I had feared.  I know my new healthy habits have started to take hold, and I'm very glad I had it done.

--

150 lost and maintaining!