Post op dreams and thoughts

Deana_
on 11/29/14 1:13 pm

My surgery is scheduled for Dec 22. RNY. I am on liquid diet from the 8-22.

I can't shake how nervous i am. I feel really educated and prepared but at the same time.. i keep having dreams about the surgery. It is also the last thing i think about before i go to bed. I go through all the things that could happen etc. Maybe its just fear of the unknown.

It doesn't help that everyday when my Fiance looks at me he looks at me like he won't be seeing me after Dec 22 again and begs me not to do the surgery. I know that it is out of love and fear. I hope to bring him to my pre op classes to help him feel better.

I also got my leave from work approved and my doctor only made it for two weeks. I'm assuming that after my two week apt it can be extended. I work for disney and walk over a mile from where i park into work, so this is not a possibility carrying all the things i usually do. 

Prior to getting surgery, did anyone else think about the surgery all day long???

OH and then my father tells me that he might not be able to be there that day because he is working. I will have mom and fiancé with me but this makes me extra afraid.

I also wanted to share something that made me kind of aggravated and confused. I work with a woman who is getting the sleeve done in December. She originally told me she was getting the sleeve because she could "have more sugar". Then i went up to her office to try some of her protein mix she is having and she tells me that its going great, she has lost 10 pds on the liquid diet but she is had some stir fry because she felt tired and planned to cheat on thanksgiving. WHAT? HELLOOOOO?

on the other side of this.. what protein mix did y'all use in your liquid diet. My doctor gave me a list.. and i have heard of multiple protein drinks people use on OH. But what is REALLY not acceptable when i am picking out my protein powder. What do i steer away from? My doctor told me i have to mix it with a cup of skim milk.

Sherrie P.
on 11/29/14 1:20 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Good luck with your surgery!

Is your fiance heavy? He may be mourning the idea of losing an eating companion. A lot of good times center around food.  

I certainly thought about the surgery daily until the time.

Don't worry about the other lady - she is on her own road. Not everyone follows the "rules" and your mileage may vary.  I probably would have cheated on Thanksgiving too - I couldn't say. I wasn't faced with that decision.

I didn't have a liquid pre op diet except all clear the day before. I find all shakes pretty nasty. Jay Robb and Unjury Chocolate Splendor are tolerable. Once cleared for solids I never looked back.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Deana_
on 11/29/14 1:24 pm

No he is not heavy. He is 180 PDs and 5'7. 

And handsome :) 

i am often the one who has always felt that I wasn't good enough for him and how can he love someone so over weight when he could be with anyone. I'm a lucky girl.

he works two jobs so he hasn't come to any apts with me so he's uneduacted about the process. I do believe he is just fearful something will happen to me. We do eat out often and I think he might also feel like this part of our life will be removed.

everyday he just keeps saying that I will change and I will want to leave him. Obviously this is not true. After the surgery when he sees I am okay, I'm hoping he will be thinking different. If not it might be time to go to counseling.

Grandmaneice
on 11/29/14 1:28 pm
RNY on 03/24/14

I too had dreams about my surgery before hand.  It took over my mind at times, but thankfully I was so busy with trying to get my work stuff caught up for when I was off, that it helped to keep me busy.

as for the protein powder, I like unjury's chocolate and Body fortress, also six star.  The last 2 I believe you can get at Walmart or Meijers.

good luck, you will be fine.

Mary Gee
on 11/29/14 9:14 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

My SO didn't want me to have the surgery either - but I had to do it for myself, and he's fine with it now.  

I'm sure all pre-ops think about the surgery every day - I know I did!  We have so much time to think about it.

Don't be upset with your Dad - you still have your Mom and fiance.  I had no one with me prior to the surgery - my daughter came after she got off work.  It was fine.

Protein drinks - I use GNC's Protein Maxx, Mocha and Vanilla - I also bought some sugar-free syrups and peanut butter powder to add for flavoring.

Everything will work out fine - relax.  The liquid diet pre-op and post-op are miserable - but you'll get through them!!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

lynnc99
on 11/29/14 9:37 pm

Yes, I had dreams before surgery too.

But in my waking hours, I was haunted by the fear, "What if I DON'T do this? Where will I be?"

My surgery was 5 1/2 years ago and I haven't looked back. If you trust your surgeon and have good support from your support group meetings and here...it will help a LOT. Wishing you all the best!

Zonechef
on 11/30/14 12:59 am
RNY on 12/03/14

Deana, This is a big decision for you and I am sure that it was not taken lightly. You are doing it as much for your fiance and the people that you love as you are for yourself. I am sure that your fiance wants you to be healthy and be able to have a long and happy life together which this decision will be instrumental in your achieving. I am scheduled for surgery in 3 days and since my first Surgeon visit 6 months ago my wife has been also begging me not to do it for fear of complications. She also, like your Fiance is not overweight and I think not having done the research as we have they believe the risk is greater than the reward. We know the opposite is true many times over. I have continually reassured my wife giving her as much info as possible to allay her fears and still she will occasionally ask me to reconsider. Be patient with him and continue to reassure him. It sounds like he loves you very much.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 303 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics