leak or other problems

Jack Allen
on 12/3/14 10:20 pm - Leesburg, VA

I had my consultation with my Dr yesterday. I wanted to get the sleeve, but the Dr said that the % of leaks with the sleeve is higher because more staple line. Plus the bypass is the gold standard for weight loss, more benefits from the sleeve.

But don't bypassers have dumping problems? What is that like? Doesn't sound pleasant.

Still weighing the options of which I should do.

Poodlemac
on 12/3/14 10:31 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I believe only 20-30% of RNY'ers dump-maybe less. The fear of it keeps me honest!  I have a dear friend who had sleeve and he and I have had about the same problems, which are very few. I have thrown up once after eating beef, so was not dumping. I was prepared for the sleeve, but because of another medical issue, RNY was better for me.  I couldn't be happier!

karenp8
on 12/3/14 10:33 pm - Brighton, IL

Only about 30% of people with RNY dump. I am one of the few who do so I can tell you how it feels. A short time after eating too much sugar I get intense stomach cramps,feel hot and sweaty,my heart races and I feel very tired and like I need to lay down. After about 40 minutes I feel better. I've only had one episode in 27 months because it can be avoided by not eating things with added sugar,which I shouldn't be eating anyway. Sweets were what got me to the place where I needed surgery. I hadn't met a pie or cake I didn't like before surgery,but since I know how they will make me feel now it's easy to stay away. I am thankful everyday for my surgery. I lost 145 pounds and went from a size 26 to a size 0 or 1. I had been overweight my whole life and basically disabled from my weight and rheumatoid arthritis. Now I walk 4 miles a day and no longer have diabetes,high blood pressure,high cholesterol or high triglycerides. The surgery is not a cure all but you can have great success if you are truly ready to make a change. My pouch helps me feel full with less food but I still have to make the right choices. Best of luck in your decision!

Needanewbeginning
on 12/3/14 10:50 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Here in Ontario, RNY is the gold standard and is more successful for weight loss. Very few RNYers actually dump.

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Sarahakers11
on 12/4/14 2:14 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

I am a patient of your same Doctor.  We had a similar discussion.  I am happy with my choice to go with RNY but it was also due to insurance reasons.  I dont have dumping. 

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

Jack Allen
on 12/4/14 2:17 am - Leesburg, VA

You used Moazzez or Fitzer? I am using Fitzer now.

Sarahakers11
on 12/4/14 2:23 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

Moazzez, With some help from Halmi due to some issues that needed to be fixed while they were in there including a pretty bad

hernia

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/14 9:25 am
with

I just had surgery with Fitzer.  It was a very complicated Lapband removal and two weeks later and I am feeling great.  I LOVE his staff

Jack Allen
on 12/4/14 8:54 pm - Leesburg, VA

Did you have revision or just removal?

I've learned more from Fitzer in 1 visit then I had from previous dr.

I think Ive decided on the sleeve.

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/14 12:25 am
with

I had a revision.  He took out my lapband that was causing me so many issues and revised to RNY.  I did a three day clear liquid and now I am 16 days post op and feel so good.  Down 24 lbs from preop diet and 17 from day of surgery.  The staff called during preop diet and once I was home, they always call back right away and make time to answer questions.  Dr. Fitzer's bedside manner is not for everyone, he is not warm and fuzzy, but he always seemed honest and trustworthy.  I told my husband that he was appropriately pompous. I want a doctor that is confident, but not a jerk and who listens to patients.  I found he listened to me and was always respectful and never talked down to me or made me feel bad about the issues I had with my lapband.  

Most Active
Recent Topics