leak or other problems

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/4/14 2:45 am - OH

Although the chance of leaks may be higher with the sleeve, it seems as if the doctor is being a bit disingenuous because the RNY carries with it risks of problems related to the areas where the bypassed intestine is reattached, so the complication rates for the surgeries themselves are about the same, but are slightly higher with RNY (not surprising since it is a more complicated surgery).  Unless, of course, that particular surgeon has a higher than normal rate of VSG leaks (in which case, I wouldn't use him for EITHER surgery!)

As already indicated, only about 30% of RNYers dump, and that can be avoided entirely by not eating high sugar/carb foods, so that shouldn't be a huge consideration when deciding which surgery to get. What SHOULD be a significant consideration, however, is that with RNY you are permanently altering your body's ability to absorb vitamins in exchange for about 18 months of caloric and fat malabsorption. (Some fat malabsorption remains, but it is often minimal.)

The benefit of the malabsorption from the RNY comes at a price... lifetime lack of vitamin absorption, increased changes of kidney stones, and risk of reactive hypoglycemia (which, to my knowledge, can start at any time after RNY but does not fade with time as dumping can for some people).

RNY might be a better choice for you, but it might not. YOU have to live with the lifelong consequences and benefits of your surgery, not your doctor, so please don't let him talk you into a surgery without having all of the facts and knowing the pros and cons of each surgery.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/4/14 9:53 am

I really like Lora answer.  I had RNY over 6 years ago and at that time my doc did band and RNY only. If I knew them what I know now I would either travel to get VSG or wait until my doc does VSG. 

Weight wise -I am an example how well RNY works.... Health wise... Not so much. I developed a lot of complication for long term post op RNY.  

If I could go back and do it again - I would not do RNY but fight for sleeve. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Musicmama88
on 12/8/14 5:59 am - Danville, IN

Just read your post and it caught my attention when you said you are having post op RNY longterm. I am nine years out and am just starting to have complications which my doc thinks may be an obstruction.What may I ask were your complications? Im looking for someone with the same experiece and mine to bounce facts off of.

Thanks, hope you are doing better

"For I know the plans I have for you ," declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/8/14 6:24 am

I am not about bouncing ideas anymore.. 

I develop IBS-C and I need to make  sure my guts work. I take Miralax daily and really limit type of food and qty I eat.  I developed food allergies, and eliminating all those foods really helped.  Plus all gluten and other grains. plus elimination food from FODMAP list.

I suspect I have SIBO .. In January I plan to see a doc who hopefully can diagnose that and treat that...

You can search my other posts and responses.. 

you can Google IBS-C, SIBO, FODMAP...  hope that can help you...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

JenniPenny
on 12/5/14 4:32 am - MN

I had RNY almost 14 yrs ago. I don't  dump - most post op RNY patients don't. And dumping isn't that bad anyway if you do get it.Many use it to keep themselves on  track when their willpower is lacking. Dumping is getting a hot flash from something you ate=

high sugar, high fat, etc. Sometimes postops get lethargic, sleepy, or just feel ugh in their stomach. If we get something stuck-again, not very often, I've done it 3 times in 14 yrs. we spit up like a baby.When post ops  tell you they puke, it's a very small amount. We can only hold a couple ounces so that's all that comes up. I puked once in a store while shopping - spit up in a napkin and went about my shopping. Not a biggie. The RNY is the gold standard for weight loss and long term success-to me. The sleeve is equally effective and works well  for many people. I'd do mine over again every single year if I had to in order to feel this good. Love my RNY, I eat "normally" and don't deprive myself of anything.Moderation is the key. I've had zero complications, took my weight off in  the first year (I was a slow loser) and have been around goal every since. Life is good.Research all your options but know that RNY works, it's long term and it's amazing.

Jen Open RNY 2001

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 227 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 129 views