Popcorn!

DannyBoyDVG
on 12/11/14 12:42 pm - AR

So, I know taste can change after this surgery but, I didn't realize it could change so far out! I'll be 3 years post-op at the end of this month and just in these past few months I have become addicted to popcorn! I NEVER use to eat popcorn like EVER but, now I seem to crave it all the time! 

Any of you have any good ideas for enjoying popcorn aside from just right out of the bag?

Rimabaqi
on 12/11/14 1:28 pm

I am addicted to popcorn too and I hope that it won't change after the surgery ...myssurgery  is on Monday...there is a popcorn on lime and salt that is yummy and not greasy at all....if u like flavors u will like this one...

jerry M.
on 12/11/14 2:36 pm

I have heard that microwave popcorn, especially the butter flavored type, is not good for your health because of all the chemicals it has to preserve the butter taste additives. Microwave popcorn without butter would be fine I think. Popcorn is a great filler and doesn't contain many calories. So I don't see anything wrong with popcorn as long as you don't smother it with melted butter. ( but who can eat popcorn without butter?   ). 

SkinnyScientist
on 12/11/14 5:13 pm

HI!  Several thoughts

1) First figure out what "taste" you like in the popcorn and try to figure out a "better" way to get it than microwave popcorn (more on that later).   Is it the hot butter or the salt?

2) Microwave popcorn IS bad for you. There is a higher incidence of lung cancer in the portions of the factory that deal with making/distributing the fake butter.  Also, a man successfully sued. He loved microwave popcorn, would pop it, open the bag up right away, and inhale the delicious butter scent.  He ended with lung disease.

3) You CAN make your own popcorn in the microwave. My friend taught me this just a month ago. Take a glass bowl with a glass lid (important!), put 2 tablesppons of popping corn in there, and nuke for 3 minutes or less (got to watch it or it will burn). It will pop wihtout the oil. She is exceptionally healthy and liked to add a bit of good fat to the unpopped kernels (i.e. about 2 tablespoons of olive oil) though it is not necessary.

And there you go! My thoughts, history, and alternatives.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

kimtres
on 12/11/14 5:39 pm - Doha, Qatar

I pop my popcorn on the stovetop. I use one skimpy tablespoon of sunflower oil and a half tablespoon of butter and pop. Then I add salt. I find I need just a bit of fat in my diet and this is my preferred way to get it. I make it two to three times (or more!) a week and find the fiber and fat help keep me regular. :-)

Ladytazz
on 12/11/14 7:04 pm

I have air popped popcorn nearly every day.  Sometimes I use butter and other times I just use the popcorn seasonings that you buy at the store.  My favorite is Cheddar Jalapeno.

I can't stand the taste of the microwave popcorn and I actually prefer the air popped kind, even without anything on it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

CHELLEYGIRL
on 12/11/14 11:15 pm - PALMDALE, CA

I used to love the bagged kind before surgery, but now it makes my tummy hurt. I also prefer the kind you have to pop to the bag stuff! 

HW-258 SW- 247 CW-147 Surgery date-8/11/2011

Browneyedgirl33
on 12/12/14 1:12 am

The absolute best way and you don't even have to add butter is to put 1/4 cup grapeseed oil in a big pot and put two cournels in it.  When one cournal pops you put 1/2 cup of cournals to the pot and shake it until it is all popped and add seasalt.  Grapeseed oil is right up there with olive oil so it is very healthy.  It is the best taste...... I sware the best popcorn I have ever eaten and you don't even have to add butter.  Make sure to keep lid on pot while popping of course.

Grim_Traveller
on 12/12/14 2:06 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I gota special bowl at Target for microwave popcorn for about six bucks. No oil. You can also just put kernels in a paper bag and pop it as is.

Popcorn is a healthy snack with good fiber. The oil that we cook it in or the toppings we put on it are what make it unhealthy.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

snow_white
on 12/12/14 11:52 pm
RNY on 11/11/14 with

How far out do we need to be to eat popcorn?

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 279 views