Liver Shrink Diet Confusion

MandyLeigh
on 12/28/14 4:05 pm

Hey yall,

My surgery is on January 7th, 2015 and I am sort of confused about the liver shrink diet part of it. How long does it actually take the liver to shrink? Why are so many diets so different?

For example mine is stay under 1000 calories and 70 carbs but hit at least 100 g of protein. 

So why do some people have to be on a full liquid for 2 weeks?

I have a friend who is on the same diet as I am but she has been cheating every single day and has about 9 days to prepare now instead of 14 (we are surgery sisters and have the same surgery date - we found each other on instagram!) Should I be worried for her or say something to her? I dont know how it all works so I don't want to say anything unless I know what I'm talking about

I guess I am just feeling nervous because my liquid diet seems so easy compared to others and I'm afraid that my liver wont be prepared? 

Suggestions, help?! please! 

-Mandy Leigh :)

The Salty Hag
on 12/28/14 10:33 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I've also always wondered why there are so many different pre-op diet plans.Mine was Optifast. I was on Opti for 30 days. I could have 5 Opti products ( including one each of a bar or soup ), and one high protein/low carb food meal per day, with 80-100 oz. of liquid consumed each day. ( shakes counted ). I think mine was pretty easy as far as diets go. Yours also sounds fairly easy to deal with as well. ( Post-op plans also vary greatly from surgeon to surgeon. ) I have no clue why they are so varied, and I think I would go nuts trying to figure that out. 

About your friend: she's an adult, and can do what she pleases even if it is counter-productive. Saying something to her could backfire on you and cause the friendship to end, but it might also snap her out of it-though..I think the first outcome is more likely. As obese individuals, we were likely food policed heavily at some point in our lives, and she may not respond well to someone who attempts to do so. ( Not saying you would be, but the perception could be there. ) I'd not say a word to her and just keep on my own journey. If the surgeon starts and decides it's not safe to proceed....he or she won't proceed. 

If you follow your plan, you will be just fine. Some people don't even HAVE pre-op diets other than clear liquids a day prior...and some may not even have had that if I recall correctly. 

Hope this helps. Good luck!! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

4Reel
on 12/28/14 11:05 pm

You might want to share these with her...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4w4VByT878

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q923Kn032D8

Some people do better when you can SEE why we need to be on this diet...

Amy K.
on 12/28/14 11:23 pm - Tucson, AZ

I followed every instruction the doc, nut, and RN gave me to the letter.  My surgery only lasted 2.5 hours because I followed the directions, not the 3.5+ that some take, which is what my surgeon allows for.  My liquid diet was 14 days pre-op and during that time I lost 9 lbs. 

High Weight: 264, BMI 46.8, Surgery Date: July 1, 2014, weight 227, BMI 40.2

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/29/14 12:19 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I was on a liquid (4 to 5 shakes a day) diet for 2 weeks before my surgery.  I never swayed and followed plan exactly -- and I am glad that I did because I lost 18 lbs and shrunk my liver appreciably (it was still enlarged) -- making for an easier laparoscopic operation.

I don't know how much you have to lose or if you have a fatty liver.  I do know that at the Cleveland Clinic, where I had surgery, those of us in the "super morbidly obese" category must do the liquid diet.  I would assume that is because we have the most issues with fatty livers and complications.  However, some of those in my group who had lesser BMIs had pre-op diets that were slightly laxer.  For example, one woman I was with had 2 shakes and a low carb meal as her eating plan.  

As far as your buddy -- I wouldn't say anything.  You will find the most benefit on worrying about you and your resolve in the journey ahead.  I still attend an actual support group at the clinic, and I am always surprised by the choices so many people in the group have made before, during and after surgery.  Trust me -- your commitment will be evident by your success on the scale.  Unfortunately, your friend may not be destined to have the same success that you seem to be.  Don't let that worry you.  It's her life to miss.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/14 5:06 am

Every surgeon is different. My surgery was on a Monday and I could eat regular meals on Saturday with no cheese or fried foods. On Sunday, I had a light breakfast (egg and yogurt) then broth, water, jello, and a magnesium citrate cleanse the rest of the day.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/29/14 7:38 am - OH

Some surgeons (like mine) don't require the all-liquid pre-surgery diet because they say that the medical research doesn't support the ability to shrink the liver in just two weeks (and many people won't be compliant with a very strict four week pre-op diet, so they don't bother). That does, however, often mean that the surgery may have to be converted to open if a fatty liver is really problematic for the surgeon.  

The surgeon's ability also comes into play here, though.  Some surgeons are much more comfortable with dealing with the additional problems of an enlarged liver than other surgeons are, so yours may believe that evens lol liquids won't help much in just 2 weeks or may be more confident in his/her ability to do the surgery regardless. Follow what your surgeon has asked you to do and don't fret over it.

Personally, I would stay out of the issue with the way your friend is eating before surgery.  Even if you express your concerning a loving way, she is likely to resent the "food police" interference and it probably won't change what she is eating anyway.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 223 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics