Fooooood

Deana_
on 12/31/14 8:42 am

I am on my pureed stage. Things are going well. Mostly I struggle with water. I get so nauseous! I'm playing with the different temps.

looking into the future im just curious how all of yall tackle different cuisines.

what are you eating when you are wanting chinese, italian, Mexican.. Etc. I went to culinary school so I'm creative in the kitchen. I would have posted this to the diet and nutrition board but nobody ever comments there really. Also, I understand most of you don't eat carbs etc. Just wanting some ideas.

do you order takeout still or make your own versions? I don't eat fast food. Typically if we go out to eat we eat at finer dining restaurants with smaller portions. 

Any friendly comments are welcome. And no, I'm not stating I want pizza, chinese and Mexican.. I'm just curious as to the versions of these cuisines you now eat whether it's homemade or if you get it somewhere. 

jackietex
on 12/31/14 8:56 am
I used to eat out all the time, now I don't enjoy it nearly as much because it tends to be extra calories and I finish long before everyone else. When we order Chinese, I usually get Mu Shu Pork and skip the rice, although I try to avoid Chinese because it raises my blood sugar levels. Italian food usually means salad or chicken, and maybe a little pasta. Although, the last time we went to Olive Garden I got a mushroom ravioli without any sauce. I live in Texas, so we love our Tex-Mex! I like chicken enchiladas, light on sauce, or soup, or soft tacos. I really prefer to prepare my own food and I go on kicks where I eat the same meal once or twice a day for weeks. My current go-to is a hardened corn tortilla topped with fat-free refried beans, chopped tomato, sliced black olives, and Mexican style sour cream. They are about 250 calories each. I rarely get drive-thru, pretty much only while traveling. Fine dining is definitely easier with the smaller portions, I just follow the protein first rule.

Lap RNY February 15, 2012
Starting weight 195 (ht. 4'10)
Surgery weight 178.5
Current weight 113

Deana_
on 12/31/14 9:02 am

Thank you!

karenp8
on 12/31/14 9:16 am - Brighton, IL

I do still eat out once every other week. If we go to a nicer restaurant I ask for a Togo box when my meal comes and put any over one cup into it right away. That way when I get busy talking I don't accidentally overeat. For pizza we get takeout from a local parlor that has an extra thin crust version or I will eat toppings only off regular crust versions. For Italian I eat the meatballs and sauce and leave the noodles and for Chinese I eat meat and veggies without the rice or egg fu young. Most meals vI cook at home because that way I know exactly what I am eating. I am 28 months post op and have been 20+ pounds below goal for 20 months.

Deana_
on 12/31/14 12:35 pm

How do you tackle desserts?

do you so sugar free options?

whole foods has a wonderful sugar free gluten free selection so I was wondering if people are these options?

Deana_
on 12/31/14 10:18 am

Thank you 

poet_kelly
on 12/31/14 11:20 am - OH

I eat all kinds of food.  Sometimes I eat out, sometimes I make my own.

I love Mexican.  I love Chipotle. I get a bowl with just a little brown rice, black beans, peppers and onions, salsa, cheese and a little bit of guacamole.  Or I make beans with peppers and onions and spices at home.  Summer before last, I made a bunch of homemade salsa and canned it.  I still have one jar left.  It's yummy!

Pasta doesn't sit well in my pouch.  It feels too heavy and just kind of icky.  So I rarely eat that.  Can't recall when I had it last.  But I love pizza.  I go out for pizza with a friend a couple times a month. I usually eat two slices on thin crust and I don't eat all the crust but I do eat some of it.

There are very few things I don't eat at all.  Just I eat some things very sparingly.  For instance, I eat french fries occasionally.  I might eat a few with a meal when I go out three or four times a year, and I might make baked sweet potato fries at home a few times a year.

for some really good food ideas, check out bariatricfoodie.com

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 301 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics