crystalhamley
on 1/10/15 2:05 am

So I have made the decision to have wls! I'm 31 weighing 312, I was 325 when I made the decision 5 months ago. I will be traveling to anchorage, ak to meet my surgeon, Dr. Michael Todd and have my orientation appointment. Can anyone tell me what to expect at orientation? I'm hoping to leave anchorage with a surgery date. Fyi, I live on a small island in southeast alaska and anchorage is the closest bariatric surgeon. 

Grim_Traveller
on 1/10/15 2:17 am
RNY on 08/21/12

If you are using insurance, much will depend on them. There are a thousand different ways they do it. Worst case is a 6 month medically supervised program they require. Most require a psych eval, then there are the surgeon's requirements, such as evaluation by a cardiologist, clearance from your PCP, sleep apnea, etc etc.

It could happen fast, but don't get your heart set on it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

crystalhamley
on 1/10/15 5:49 am

I have already done the 6 months supervised, and the psychological eval, several lab tests as well. I know I need to have an ekg done soon and a few other minor things some I believe will be done when I go to anchorage. I'm trying my best to stay realistic about the time frame. I'm just not sure what is expected during the orientation.

STB
on 1/10/15 6:32 am
RNY on 07/21/14

I was asked what I had done in the past to try to lose weight, if it was successful and why did I think it didn't last, how I coped with stress and how would I cope with it when food was no an option, if I had support people around me, what I thought I could do for exercise, areas that might be challenging for me in terms of compliance. I also went prepared with lots of questions about how long I would be in patient, if I could take my current medication, how long I would be out of work, what their availability was if I had questions after discharge, etc. Every place is different. I had to take a 6 week (once per week for one hour) Lifestyle Changes class. It took me about a year from my first appointment to the surgery date. Good luck!

SHARON  

crystalhamley
on 1/10/15 7:14 am

Thank you that gives me something to think about so I can be prepared. 

kayleystar
on 1/10/15 9:59 pm
RNY on 01/06/15

You probably will not have a surgery date after that initial visit. Although my insurance approved the surgery in less than 24 hours of submitting my paperwork, I was not scheduled until I had my psych evaluation and did all my pre-op testing. 

I had my psych evaluation & testing and they gave me a surgery date about 2 weeks after all of that was finished.

Highest Weight: 412 | Day of Surgery: 385 | Current: 341
Surgery Date: 1/6/2015 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 346 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 302 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?