head hunger vs real hunger

catalina07
on 1/17/15 3:39 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

any info on this? I am 8 weeks out. I feel that I am able to eat more than others with no problems. I also find I get hungry fairly quickly after eating. Sometimes I feel like I had my band removed, and thats it. No RNY. Just my regular old stomach. Maybe it's all head hunger and I am confused. I know I get full faster than I used to but being on here, it seems like most people eat a teeny tiny amount of food, like on spoonful, and they are DONE-ZO. I have been eating a lot of protein, low carbs, low fat. lacking in the water department though I am trying to bump that up. 

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

Zonechef
on 1/17/15 4:00 am, edited 1/17/15 4:01 am
RNY on 12/03/14

I'm in the same boat as you. I am 6 1/2 weeks out and I am hungry often-whether head hunger or not it feels pretty real to me. I also am eating more that it appears others are, although when I really look at it it is so.... little compared to before surgery. Everyone is different I am told. I have not stopped losing weight although it is slower than I anticipated and when I saw my surgeon last week he said that I was doing good and to not worry

Me- "Should I be counting calories"

Surgeon - Your doing fine

Me- "I'm a bit worried that I am not losing very fast"

Surgeon - You've lost over 60 pounds in the past 8 months, 24 of that in the past 6 weeks-you're doing fine.

Me- "I'm worried that I am eating to much"

Surgeon - "I bet your not eating over 1000 calories a day right?"

Me- "No"

Surgeon "Then your not close to having a reason to worry..See you in 6 months."

Its seems everyone loses at different rates and has speed ups and slow downs. I going to try and worry less as long as at the end of each week I am still headed in the right dirrection, and remain committed to following the rules.

catalina07
on 1/17/15 11:25 pm - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

Sometimes it feels so good to post a discussion topic on something thats urking me...I get some great advice AND feel less like I am the only one. I have been counting pretty much everything that goes in my mouth! It does seem that everyone and every plan is different. I am just afraid of failure of this new tool. Thanks for posting.

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

sqlchick19
on 1/17/15 5:21 am
RNY on 12/15/14

While I don't feel hungry...I don't ever feel full either.  My surgery was 12/15.  I had a band to RNY revision too...and have said the same exact thing...aside from the stomach aches and dumping (2x on...protein i think), I feel like the band was removed and that's it.  

Im also SOOO sick of purees...which for me is 6x/day of yogurt and cottage cheese.  Sometimes I'm concerned that I'm not getting the best guidance....I just had a fight with my NUT because at week 6, I'm supposed to move from purees to texture and add carbs.  I thought my 6 week mark was Monday...she's telling me it's a week later.  she also told me to take my iron w my calcium in the morning (which my surgeon corrected when I reviewed with her, after reading about separating these in this board).

btw...I'm eating 3-4 tbsp at 1 sitting.  So you're not the only one who eats more than a spoonful :)

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

SkinnyScientist
on 1/17/15 5:46 am

"While I don't feel hungry...I don't ever feel full either."

-Me too!  Gone is the warm cozy feeling of full. Now, I get this constriction. Like a boa constrictor squeezing on my heart.

I miss the warm fuzzies of a good meal sometimes..then I boot up the computer and buy something pretty

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

catalina07
on 1/17/15 11:32 pm - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

I can't believe you have thought the same thing!! I really felt like that was just me. Maybe I am just so used to the CONSTANT uncomfortable feeling every time I ate with the band that this feels like a normal stomach. I think you will feel full-er once you start on more solid foods. There have been a couple time that I was shocked at how quickly I felt full...it's then that I had to have the struggle with myself to NOT eat anymore of what was on the plate.   I personally wont eat yogurt OR cottage cheese so luckily I didn't have a pureed stage...although I was on liquids only for 4 weeks post op! then moved to soft foods...which I will be on until mid- MARCH!!!!  I was supposed to be on liquid for only 3 weeks but because they didnt have any space in their schedule it ended up being 4 weeks...I was SUPER pissed cause I wanted to eat real food so bad!  Sounds like your NUT doesnt really know what she is talking about. That's like one of the top rules that I have learned, Iron and Calcium need to be a few hours apart!  Good Luck. I hope you get off of purees soon!

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

gbsinsatx
on 1/17/15 7:50 am, edited 1/17/15 7:53 am - San Antonio, TX

Physical Hunger vs. Emotional Hunger:

Physical Hunger:  Comes on gradually and can be postponed.

Emotional Hunger: Comes on suddenly and feels urgent.

Physical Hunger:  Can be satisfied with any type of food.

Emotional Hunger: Causes specific food cravings (pizza, chocolate, ice cream, etc...)

Physical Hunger:  Once you are full you can stop eating.

Emotional Hunger: Eat more than you normally would. Feel uncomfortably full.

Physical Hunger:  Causes satisfaction, doesn’t cause guilt.

Emotional Hunger: Leaves you feeling guilty and cross with yourself.

***Please see my profile page if interested. I share my RNY experience there.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

catalina07
on 1/17/15 11:35 pm - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

Thank you so much. I am going to save this. Some good questions to ask myself when I feel "hungry"!

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

snoopy123
on 1/19/15 4:46 am

LOVE LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And it is so true.

angel91e
on 1/17/15 9:12 am
RNY on 01/15/14

How funny you said that..... I also reward my moments of resisting temptation with clothes. I figure as I manage to sort through the ins and outs of personal willpower I'll end up with one heck of a nice wardrobe in my new size

Angel

HW/217 1st apt/202 SW/191 CW/115

1st goal:140 @9months

2nd goal:130 @11months

3rd goal:115 @16months  

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 353 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 297 views