If I Stop Posting......

carlacc
on 2/23/15 12:12 pm - Walkerton, IN

Hey people! Aren't we supposed to be adults who are smart enough to know that someone elses bad habits don't have to become ours ?We can learn what not to do from posters too. come on, are we back in grade school? We are not "sheeple" 

Live Today, and Dream of Tomorrow

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/23/15 1:35 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On February 23, 2015 at 8:12 PM Pacific Time, carlacc wrote:

Hey people! Aren't we supposed to be adults who are smart enough to know that someone elses bad habits don't have to become ours ?We can learn what not to do from posters too. come on, are we back in grade school? We are not "sheeple" 

Someone new to the forums may not have the foggiest idea what a "bad" habit is. There is SO much information to take in, especially early in the process, that it can be very hard to sort out solid medical advice from outright quackery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Poodlemac
on 2/23/15 11:12 pm
RNY on 09/26/14
On February 23, 2015 at 9:35 PM Pacific Time, The Mighty Sparklekitty (Julie) wrote:
On February 23, 2015 at 8:12 PM Pacific Time, carlacc wrote:

Someone new to the forums may not have the foggiest idea what a "bad" habit is. There is SO much information to take in, especially early in the process, that it can be very hard to sort out solid medical advice from outright quackery.

Seriously. Give us a little credit. We are not morons. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/23/15 11:45 pm - OH

Of course not, but there definitely ARE people who might, for example, be having trouble tolerating their vitamins and then see a post from Heidi saying that she doesn't take any and that she is just fine.  With that information only, they may decide to stop taking the vitamins instead of looking into other brands/forms. They won't know that she doesn't actually KNOW that she is fine because she doesn't have lab work done(!), or that when she did become ill and was forced to submit to lab work, she found out she was anemic, but then she believes that she ate some turkey that magically resolved her anemia. (Yeah, seriously.)

Or... Someone who is frustrated by their weight loss may see her post about her questionable eating behaviors (and the accompanying bikini pic) and decide that, since it worked for her, it might work for them, too. So then they stop eating anything at all up until dinner time but then eating anything they want from then until bedtime.

You haven't been here long enough to see how poorly educated some people are about post op eating and nutrition or about the consequences of noncompliance... OR how desperate people can become to get additional weight off.  Many of us, have, however.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/24/15 12:14 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

SkinnyScientist
on 2/28/15 5:51 pm

-You haven't been here long enough to see how poorly educated some people are about post op eating and nutrition or about the consequences of noncompliance... OR how desperate people can become to get additional weight off.

Ya know, I really blame the surgeon's office for this.  I had a great post op nutrition plan to get me to goal.  But now that I am maintainence, I dont have a plan and it has been a big "I dont know what I am doing adventure (in terms of "what kind of food" and "what kind of volumes"). I typically love experiments but not with MY BODY after ALL the time and effort put in over the year and a half. I want something prescribed, tried and true.

-SKinny Scientist

Who is going to put the nutritional wisdom and kitchen prowess of LADYTAZZ to use today and make zucchini noodles for her indian butter chicken because they have more nutrients, less calories and a lower GI.

-Wanders off singing "Me. And my spiralizer! Dancing all around.the. house!. Me. and my spiralizer! Cooking for no. one. else!"

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Grim_Traveller
on 2/28/15 11:23 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm sure some surgical programs do a crappy job of education. But I also have seen a lot of posts from people who seem to have zero knowledge, and claim they weren't given any information -- only to have another patient of the same surgeon go on at length about how extensive the program is.

In the end, it is still up to each of us to educate ourselves. It's our bodies, and our lives. Whether we get bad advice from a crappy surgeon, nutritionist, or online know-it-all, we need to figure out what to do.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

SkinnyScientist
on 3/20/15 12:36 am

"You haven't been here long enough to see how poorly educated some people are about post op eating and nutrition..."

-I know your comment wasn't directed to me.  And I have to agree with that statement though. I am thinking back to one or two people that I was SURE were trolls because no one could be that stupid and eat what they did, in the manner in which they did it, want more, and wonder why they aren't losing weight.

I called these people out for being trolls (i.e. someone purposely being inflammatory/idiotic/rude/etc to get a rise out of others on the boards).

Sadly, these people weren't trolls. They were real patients. One is now having amazing success and the other one I havent seen in awhile.

So, in summary, some patients arent well educated at all. Which I find amazing, having been on a seemingly continuous diet since around age 11. 

But now, when I read those posts have a WTF!!! reaction..I just move on. Cuz I cant tell the difference between a person in need from a troll

Karen M.
on 2/24/15 12:02 am - Mississauga, Canada

Sadly, you would be very surprised at the huge number of dangerous/irresponsible tidbits of "advice" doled out here. Sadder yet, you would be very surprised at the large number of people seeking advice and assistance who take said ridiculous advice to heart, simply because someone on this site suggested it. No one is saying that people can't make their own educated, responsible decisions - the point being made is that being new, possibly scared, feeling a little desperate for help could easily make some ridiculous "advice" seem rational.   I've been here for 9 years, nothing surprises me anymore.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

SkinnyScientist
on 3/20/15 12:39 am

I dont understand why these patients just dont see their surgeon or their NUT.  Seriously, these providers typically WANT their patients to succeed.

Is it really so hard to write an email or make an appointment.  It might be embarrassing if massive amounts were gained, but this is a common problem throughout the diet industry. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 399 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 390 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 279 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 325 views