Don't take your eyes off the prize for a second! Even if you are at/below goal! Honeymooner...

Ladytazz
on 2/27/15 2:05 am

Same story here.  Even though I don't eat sugar and gluten there are still plenty of carby things I do eat.  And like you I found myself eating more carbs then protein.

And the scale was creeping up.  No big deal because I wanted to gain a little but when my pants didn't fit I had a decision.  Do I toss all of them and buy new ones or do I cut back on the carbs and get back into them?

I've been the same size for about 4 year.  I figured that it much be a good size for me since I was healthy and no one made any comments about me being too thin or needing to lose weight.  I know it sounds bad to go by what others say but I have absolutely no perspective when it comes to my size so I need to go on the feedback of others.

So, I looked at what I was getting into the habit of eating every day.  Things like sugar free candy, gluten free bagels and popcorn had gone from an occasional treat to a daily fix.  And realizing how resistant I was to letting go of any of them made me realize how I really was started to get back into old habits.

The good news is within a week of eliminating those things I am back into my jeans, although snugger then I like and the cravings are starting the subside.  Although I am still fighting that urge for popcorn at night.  Not saying I'll never eat it again but I'm going to wait until I'm not so fixated on it.

This is a process that never ends.  Like you, I am glad I caught it early.  Today it may be 5 lbs but left to it's own devices that 5 will be 50 before I know it.  And it is a lot more daunting and overwhelming to lose 50 lbs then it is to lose 5.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Ocalasam
on 2/27/15 2:30 am
RNY on 12/18/12

No truer words have been spoken (or written).  I am 26 months out and I swear it gets harder every single day.  I have a hard time with dense proteins not making me want to throw up, but carbs go down just fine.  I also do not dump.  I was well below my goal and have gained about 5 pounds in the last few months because of too many calories.  I do not drink with meals or after meals, but I can eat more now and a wider variety.  In order to lose this extra 5 pounds I will have to significantly cut and count my calories and I'm sure it will take MONTHS.  It is very discouraging.  It just shows that we have to track and be aware of what we eat forever.  Grim is completely right.  You will never notice 100 extra calories a day.  It's going to be a battle that I have to fight for the rest of my life if I want to stay thin.

karenp8
on 2/27/15 4:01 am - Brighton, IL

That's why at 30 months I still track and measure every bite when I am at home which is most of the time. If we go out I plan ahead what I will choose and eat no more than one cup of food. I don't eat sugar free candy or popcorn or even protein bars because they tempt me to want more and more. And I will continue to weigh myself every day to hold myself accountable so the number is not ever a surprise again.

SkinnyScientist
on 2/27/15 5:47 am

-....sugar free candy or popcorn or even protein bars

So true!  Popcorn and crackers are like crack to me and may be a gateway drug to chips.  Some protein bars are almost like candy bars (just more nuts in them).  Sugar free candy...I cant even go there. I would stuff my face with them. They give me "the taste" for the real thing. Kind of like Sharp's to an alcoholic.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

EAH
on 2/27/15 5:56 pm - CA
On February 27, 2015 at 1:47 PM Pacific Time, SkinnyScientist wrote:

-....sugar free candy or popcorn or even protein bars

So true!  Popcorn and crackers are like crack to me and may be a gateway drug to chips.  Some protein bars are almost like candy bars (just more nuts in them).  Sugar free candy...I cant even go there. I would stuff my face with them. They give me "the taste" for the real thing. Kind of like Sharp's to an alcoholic.

"Popcorn and crackers are like crack to me and may be a gateway drug to chips." 

Brilliant, this is my achilles heel.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/27/15 5:42 am - OH

Thanks for posting this.  As most of the vets can attest, we frequently have someone who is "eating all the right things", but mysteriously either not losing or gaining weight, give us crap when we tell them how easy it is t let things creep up and to track what they are eating for a couple of weeks to see where  (not if) they are getting too many calories and/or carbs.  They get offended and insist that they are following their plan.  Yet they almost never post a single day's menu.

There is no shame in discovering that the calories, carbs, or portion sizes have crept up! What IS a shame is when people are too stubborn or prideful to actually DO what you just did, and actually solve the problem.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Doingrightin2015
on 2/27/15 6:17 am
RNY on 03/10/15

Well said Lora!!!!I have not had my surgery yet. But I know it is a tool that I have to work with. I have been a success at weight loss in the past. I lost 108 lbs and made goal with ww...but when you turn back to eating your old ways....looks what happens. I know and I believe we have to journal everything to stay successful.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

Cathy W.
on 2/27/15 7:55 am

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Grim_Traveller
on 2/28/15 1:38 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On February 27, 2015 at 1:42 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl, The PhD Version wrote:

Thanks for posting this.  As most of the vets can attest, we frequently have someone who is "eating all the right things", but mysteriously either not losing or gaining weight, give us crap when we tell them how easy it is t let things creep up and to track what they are eating for a couple of weeks to see where  (not if) they are getting too many calories and/or carbs.  They get offended and insist that they are following their plan.  Yet they almost never post a single day's menu.

There is no shame in discovering that the calories, carbs, or portion sizes have crept up! What IS a shame is when people are too stubborn or prideful to actually DO what you just did, and actually solve the problem.

Lora

Yes! That's our Lora! She's wicked smaht.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Gypsyqueen5
on 2/27/15 7:51 am - Seattle, WA

Hi there . I make Cauliflower rice and really depending on how you doctor it up it really does kinda  taste like rice.

SeattleSeagirl

Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 0 replies · 13 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 357 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 355 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 301 views