One week out of surgery

LDE
on 3/9/15 4:14 am

First time posting after reading forever

I am one week out of surgery and I am pretty much pain free except for what feels like pulled muscles, but that is expected. 

My issue is, I am on a full fluids diet for the rest of this week, my problem is I cannot "eat" as much they are telling me so I am concentrating on my protein shakes more than anything. sample of what they want me to eat:

1/4 cup of full fluid 1 (protein powder sprinkled on) - 1/4 cup of full fluid 2 (protein powder sprinkled on)  - 1/3 cup of protein shake 

I am lucky if I can finish 1/4 of a cup of anything without feeling full. 

Is this normal the first week or two?

ChillOutWayne
on 3/9/15 5:32 am, edited 3/9/15 5:32 am
RNY on 03/02/15

I am also one week out today. I share the same soreness as well, tho I've had a focused spot in my abdomen become more painful/sensitive in last 2 days. Outside of that I'm feeling great and out and about as much as I can. 

I actually don't start protein until tomorrow after my nutritionist appointment, so far has just been clear liquids for the last week. I'll get back tomorrow with how the protein is going but so far I have no issue getting 70+oz of fluid down. One week down, it should get easier for us from here! 

christinamudd
on 3/9/15 1:42 pm

I am the same way.  I am 2 weeks out.  I have a spot on my stomach that hurts if I lean over, it feels like I am being stabbed with a knife.  My surgeon said that's normal.  I have been eating mostly salad, potatoes, protein shakes, eggs, etc.  I don't usually feel hungry, but I eat anyways.  I only feel hungry on my first meal.  My subsequent meals, I eat because I know I need to eat.  

HW: 407  CW: 359 - RNY 02/18/15

Poodlemac
on 3/9/15 10:25 pm, edited 3/9/15 10:26 pm
RNY on 09/26/14
On March 9, 2015 at 8:42 PM Pacific Time, christinamudd wrote:

I am the same way.  I am 2 weeks out.  I have a spot on my stomach that hurts if I lean over, it feels like I am being stabbed with a knife.  My surgeon said that's normal.  I have been eating mostly salad, potatoes, protein shakes, eggs, etc.  I don't usually feel hungry, but I eat anyways.  I only feel hungry on my first meal.  My subsequent meals, I eat because I know I need to eat.  

I can't believe you can eat salad or eggs this early out.  NO WAY I could have. Probably should try to weed those potatoes out. Won't be helpful in the long run! And forcing yourself to eat when you're not hungry isn't going to work either, in the long run!  Just sayin!!

christinamudd
on 3/10/15 1:30 am

As far as the salad, yeah believe it or not it goes down really well!  As far as potatoes so far I've had them about once per week.  I will buy a KFC mashed potatoes and eat a few bites.  And as far as not forcing myself to eat.  If i didn't, I would only eat once per day.  I wouldn't make my protein goal.  I don't eat myself to discomfort or anything I just don't feel hungry.  But I make myself a protein shake anyways and sip on it.  I've noticed I am way thirstier than I used to be.  What does your menu look like?

HW: 407  CW: 359 - RNY 02/18/15

lump532
on 3/10/15 10:07 am
RNY on 03/03/15

I'm one week out too (well, tomorrow) and while I sometimes post, I'm mostly a lurker.  I'm just starting to feel more like myself pain wise.  I'm still taking my Oxy at night but have just taken tylenol today and feel pretty good.  I've got my one week class and appointment tomorrow and after those I graduate from protein shakes and clear liquids to some soft foods (think cottage cheese).

My wife had surgery in November and had problems getting her protein and fluids in.  I seem to be having no such problems, but I wish you luck.  My doctor said to concentrate on getting the protein in as it is very important for healing.

Getting your nutrition in is important, even if you have to sip at it all day.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 0 replies · 6 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views