Do these symptoms sound familiar?

lburrell
on 3/11/15 11:52 am

I am 7 1/2 months out from RNY. For the last 2 months I've had the following symptoms. I brought them up to my surgeon at my 6m followup but they had only been happening for a short time then and he asked me to monitor it because they didn't raise any typical red flags to him. Here are the symptoms:

1.pressure in upper abdomen that radiates to my upper middle back. I don't have my gall bladder...so they aren't attacks...though the pain feels similar.

2. Excessive burping.  IN combination with pressure...I burp every couple min. Burping does not ease the pressure.

3. There is no pattern to when this happens. Sometimes it is on empty stomach sometimes after eating. The duration varies...sometimes it is just an hour or so..sometimes like today it is more on than off through out the entire day. Time of day varies too. Today I felt it as soon as I woke up..sometimes it comes on later in day. There is no discernable pattern that I've been able to identify.

4) heat sometimes helps to relieve the symptoms (heating pad on my back).

Because these symptoms don't occur mostly after eating...doc wasn't sure what to make of it. He thought maybe it had to do with hunger...but I've tried eating more frequently and it hasn't helped.

Thoughts?

RNY 7/28/14 - HW 312 (1/9/14) - SW 263. CW 164 (3/28/15)

AngryViking
on 3/11/15 10:13 pm
RNY on 07/17/14

Are you taking famotidine or something similar?  I reported similar symptoms to my PA at my 6 mo. and she prescribed Pepcid.  It really helped me.  It's 20 mg and I take it twice a day.

The Salty Hag
on 3/11/15 11:23 pm, edited 3/11/15 11:23 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Are you on a PPI? It sounds like stomach acid and/or an ulcer to me. The pains can mimic hunger-and for me was reminiscent of a gall bladder attack. I also had really bad gnawing hunger pains when I would get an attack. It would double me over in pain. 

Hope you can get some answers! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

CHELLEYGIRL
on 3/12/15 12:21 am - PALMDALE, CA

I had the same symptoms, for over a year! finally the did an endoscopy and surprise surprise they found absolutely nothing wrong! So i upped my water intake by a ton, and ate only super healthy and it went away! The docs had no idea what it could be, I really think my situation was due to dehydration. it took a couple weeks to get better but to this day, no pain. I really hope you are out of pain soon. its no fun.  GET WELL!!

HW-258 SW- 247 CW-147 Surgery date-8/11/2011

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/12/15 12:35 am

a few things come to mind:

ulcer

acid,

constipation  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mamata2
on 3/12/15 1:09 am

I had very similar symptoms and had an ulcer.  Good luck!  Carafate and Pepcid are your new best friends if you do have an ulcer :)

lburrell
on 3/12/15 11:37 am

Thanks for the thoughts.... I was on pepcid for a month after surgery but am not on it now. It wouldn't hurt to try it to see if it works. I'll also try upping my fluids. I think I'm doing good with fluids....but wouldn't hurt to get more in. Fingers crossed. I'm a therapist and dealing with the burping while in sessions has been difficult...not to mention the back ache. 

RNY 7/28/14 - HW 312 (1/9/14) - SW 263. CW 164 (3/28/15)

Ocalasam
on 3/13/15 1:15 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Sounds like a possible ulcer to me.  I would go back on on an acid reducer and see what happens.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 344 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 195 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 269 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?