Protein Drink and then water?

Katie_Kat
on 3/22/15 12:26 am, edited 3/22/15 1:23 am
RNY on 06/10/13

Hello everyone,  My question is , if I drink a Protein Powder shake, do I need to still wait a 1/2 to 1 hour to drink water or flavored water.

Thanks

Katherine     

RNY 6/2013

S/W  256

C/W  126

Han Shot First
on 3/22/15 1:23 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

The wait only applies for solid food, to give it some time to sit in your pouch.  Protein shakes basically go right through, so you don't have to wait to follow it up with water.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Katie_Kat
on 3/22/15 1:37 am
RNY on 06/10/13

Thank You, I do try to wait a half hour but I wasn`t sure if I HAD to

Katherine     

RNY 6/2013

S/W  256

C/W  126

Cooter N.
on 3/22/15 2:55 am

My Nut says that since it is a meal we need to wait. She says that even though it is liquid, it still gets washed out by the water. Who knows what is best, but I drink before it then no more for a while.

Surgery 2/3/15 Band to RNY Hw:272 CW:262   

Katie_Kat
on 3/22/15 3:07 am
RNY on 06/10/13
On March 22, 2015 at 9:55 AM Pacific Time, Cooter N. wrote:

My Nut says that since it is a meal we need to wait. She says that even though it is liquid, it still gets washed out by the water. Who knows what is best, but I drink before it then no more for a while.

Thanks, the rule is wait an hour ? I no longer have a Surgeon, he retired, Waiting for an appt. with his replacement. I kind of forgot some of the rules pertaining to wait after a meal, what about drinking water and then eating?  Do I need to wait awhile? Well actually I guess I already do wait as my pouch is full of water and I do feel the fullness for awhile.

Katherine     

RNY 6/2013

S/W  256

C/W  126

Cooter N.
on 3/22/15 4:15 am

She did say to wait an hour. My surgeons office is adamant on only 3 meals per day and nothing else. They say that the periods of fasting in between meals helps with lossbut breaks bad habits of always eating. I dont know if I really buy into that, but I am doing it. So with a protein drink as a meal replacement, that would mean no drinking for an hour. I probably dont wait that long though. Gotta get the water in whenever I can.

Surgery 2/3/15 Band to RNY Hw:272 CW:262   

selhard
on 3/22/15 11:20 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Maybe this is advice to diabetics in remission, but my NUT recommends eating something every three waking hours in order to keep blood sugar levels at an even keel.  She also thinks it helps prevents grazing IF you get into this habit because three hours is not a long time to wait for anyone, helps prevent cravings, and keeps overindulging at bay.  Things I need to do better are chewing to applesauce consistency and looking at the food when eating without distractions like watching TV or reading the paper.  Possible conclusion: each WLSer needs to follow what method works best for his/her success.  Success, I love that word.

poet_kelly
on 3/22/15 7:12 am - OH

Since it's liquid, it washes itself out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

White Dove
on 3/22/15 3:57 am - Warren, OH

I always drink up until my first bite of food then wait at least 30 minutes after eating to drink water.  Sometimes I wait more than that, as long as four hours.  It keeps the food in my pouch and I feel full until I drink again.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Doingrightin2015
on 3/22/15 5:35 am
RNY on 03/10/15

Being new to this. My NUT says to stop drinking 20-30 minutes before a meal and 20-30 minutes after a meal. 3 meals and 2 snacks. At this point they are all the same to me...basically snacks.  find most days I can't get more than 4 in a day. they say stop eating 3 hours before bedtime.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170